whale tail?

embarr

Recruit
I am trying to ski behind an 18 foot Maxum w/135hp. I'm trying to get up on an O'brien allegiance slalom ski, I grew up slalom skiing. We had a 21" pitch Prop and dropped down to a stainless 19" pitch. the boat also has a whale tail. I weigh 220 lbs. When I say hit it I am dragged all over the Lake. Should I go for a 17" or 15" pitch prop? get rid of the whale tail? When my son in law comes back to get me he says its like pulling an anchor. I'm not fat, man, I keep telling myself, " it's gotta be the boat!" Any suggestions other than losing weight?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: whale tail?

Technique can help.Be sure you don't dig the heel of the ski in keep the weight more on the front foot.If you went from al to ss that makes results more un predictable.
Also some props are more aggressive than others.I would suggest a 17" 4 blade
perhaps a Solas Amita.Watch the rpm.A whale tail can improve hole shot.But some sort of trim tabs would be much better.The fin can make the boat slower and it may handle strangly
under certain circumstances.

junior1113

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: whale tail?

what are wot rpms with the ss 19? assuming this is a mercruiser? 17X4 sounds like what you need and trade the fins for tabs the fins.