Solas HR Titan Review

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
I recently purchased a new Solas HR Titan 4 Blade Stainless prop for my motor. (Right here on iBoats.com of course.)

I had tried 7 different Aluminum props on my boat before selecting the HR Titan as my main prop. I chose this prop specifically because of it's stern lifting and overal lifting capabilities. My boat is slightly stern heavy, especially when I have my kicker motor on the bracket and full fuel tanks.

The HR Titan provides excellent overall performance for my boat with both light and heavy loads. With a light load, the hole shot is excellent, mid range cruising is smooth and top end speed is good (about 2 mph slower than the fastest 3-blades I've run.)

With a heavy load; 4 adults 650lbs, 1 60lbs dog, 18 gallons of fuel, two batteries and about 150lbs of camping gear performance was still good. Hole shot was definitely slower fully loaded but cruise and top speed were still better than any of the aluminium props that I tested.

The prop vents a bit in hard turns while just on a plane with trim all the way out. This is easily corrected by trimming in before hard turns at that speed. Venting was not a problem in turns above about 4500RPM and trim corrections eliminated any issues.

Boat: 1969 Slickcraft SS170V, 17ft, 1100lbs dry
Motor: 1995 Evinrude 70hp, rebuilt and perfect running condition.
Gear Ratio: 2.41:1
Prop: Solas HR Titan Stainless 4 blade 15p.
Hole Position: #3, anti-vent plate 1.5 inches above bottom of hull.
Fuel max: 18 gallons.
WOT RPM Light load: 6300
Speed Light load (GPS): 33.9MPH max (slip 8.7%)
WOT RPM Heavy Load: 5900
Speed Heavy Load: 31.0 MPH Max (slip 10.85%)

I have run this prop in varied conditions; river, ocean and lake. WOT numbers above were at sea level, 15 degrees C, winds 5km and variable, light chop.

I would recommend the Solas HR Titan Stainless 4 blade for stern heavy boats and boat where the engine is around 70% of maximum rated HP. This prop will help keep the stern high in the water and provide smooth power and low slip in cruise speeds.

001.jpg

003.jpg

Last edited:

hwsiii

Commander
Re: Solas HR Titan Review

Trend, I want to thank you very much for the review of this prop, as it gives everybody an idea of what can be expected from this prop under the conditions that you tested it and on the hull form that you have.

And also with the other props that you tested as well, as it helped my database being able to compare a bunch of aluminum props against each other on the same boat, like Kenny did with the SS props.

So, I want to be the first to thank you for your observations and your willingness to share with everyone.

H

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

You're welcome H, it's been the insight and knowledge of members like yourself that have helped me to learn and to find the best prop for my boat.

When I have the opportunity to run some more props I will be sure to post the results.

Cheers

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

I would recommend the Solas HR Titan Stainless 4 blade for stern heavy boats and boat where the engine is around 70% of maximum rated HP. This prop will help keep the stern high in the water and provide smooth power and low slip in cruise speeds.

Thanks for the comprehensive review Trendsetter. This sounds like what I should be looking at in a 13P. Unfortunately Iboats does not list this model for my Honda.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Anybody using them on a 4 stroke OB?