anyone have advice on fish and ski's (triton)

hi i am new to the forum. i have a 2003 triton 190-fs with a 200 efi merc and i am wondering what height the motor should be mounted on the transom i just got this boat so i am trying to see if it is set-up right.

motor is mounted 2nd hole from top that put's prop to pad measurement at 5"
i am running 57 mph (gps)
trophy plus prop 23p x 13.75" 4 blade
5400 rpm
no jackplate
water pressure is 15psi but need's new pump so this number is temporarily low
full load
2 people (400lbs.)
gas full 31 gallons.

so iam wondering if any body has one of these boat's or has advice on motor height (seem's its mounted low to me) any input will be greatly appreciated

thanks chad

hwsiii

Commander
Re: anyone have advice on fish and ski's (triton)

Chad, if you will take a picture of the lower unit while you are running in the top 20% of your WOT, then we will know everything we need to know. Just look at the picture in the following paper and take a picture like that.

You might try reading this for a better understanding of changing props for better performance, and for the major differences between aluminum props and stainless steel.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=369057

H

ok thanks for the quick reply (hwsii) i will get a picture but not for about a week cause i am taking it in for the watre pump issue on friday.

thanks hwsiii, i never posted the picture of my anti-ventalation plate while i was running i just looked and saw it was covered in water so i had the motor lifted 2 holes up (1.5") and now it's a totally different boat.

same 4 blade prop i gained 4mph gps (61mph) and 400 rpm (5800 rpm)
hole shot very good
i even gained 2.5 psi in water pressure from lifting motor
anti-vent plate is just at or above the surface of water

now i can start playing around with prop's to see if i can get more out of this

i bought this boat from wisconsin and it had been set up this way from day 1 the previous owner must have hated it the way it was before.dealers are bad for hanging a motor on a boat without actually setting them up close to where they should be.

when i took this boat to the dealer here in canada (lund dealer) he told me he didn't want to lift the engine because it isn't going to work and it is going to cavitate and he will just have to lower it, after a slight arguement he lifted the engine i ran it and couldn't be happier.

so thanks again

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

It so great to see such nice results with just the simple raising of the motor.
And you got a better handling boat as well.
I first read about this in an article from the 50s with a Merc 40 hp.
Their results were about 2 mph but they were traveling a lot slower than you.
You may be able to go higher ; the 4 blades are pretty resistant to venting.