21' GlasPly camper cutty prop help...

billy4hp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well here's hoping Hwsii can work the magic again...

This winter I acquired a 1973 GlasPly 21' camper cutty...

glasplymoored3.jpg

Powered by a 188HP 302 Ford so here's what I have now... Boat is a fishing / cruising setup, not looking for top end numbers. Boat is mainly ran in the 2500 to 4000 rpm range. In fact with my new SEI 106 outdrive that I am breaking in I have only ran a sustained 4000 rpm (3/4 throttle or so) as I have 5 more hours of breakin to go before I run WOT continuously and continuous WOT is a big rarity around here...

Anyways here's what I have so far..

Powerplant: 188hp Ford 302 4200 to 4800rpm max (Depending on where you get your information, my 1973 manual lists WOT MAX at 4600rpm and WOT MIN at 4000 rpm)
Outdrive: SEI 106 (Alpha One Gen 1) 1.47 gear ratio
Total weight w/ fuel, gear and passengers: 4900lbs

Current prop: Unknown manufacturer 4 blade, aluminum, 15 X 16 pitch

Current performance: 4000 RPM yielded 35 mph verified by GPS

For it's size the boat get's up on plane nicely and handles well, my only concern is the current prop is getting the paint burned off of it and has signs of errosion on the blades already. Nothing major but a noticable rough surface in the burned off paint area...

I really want to put a stainless prop on this boat but would like to be sure I am getting the right prop on the first shot...

Thanks in advance...

Billy

hwsiii

Commander
Re: 21' GlasPly camper cutty prop help...

Billy, I will take care of you later tonight.

H

billy4hp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Billy, I will take care of you later tonight.

H

Looking forward to the reply...

The last prop you picked for me was nothing less than dazzling...

Thanks in advance,

Billy

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

He does do a nice job.I'm strictly a seat of the pants guy,he crunches the numbers.

hwsiii

Commander

Spikes gut feelings are much better than mine, I HAVE to use my program to come up with the correct answers.

Billy, I had a 188 at one time and if I remember correctly it was only supposed to turn 4,200 RPM at WOT, please all a mercury dealer and VERIFY the WOT RPM.

It would be much better to wait until we can get the WOT RPM and MPH, so that I have better numbers to work with and make a better selection than what you have, changing to a SS prop from aluminum can make a BIG difference at times.

H

billy4hp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Spikes gut feelings are much better than mine, I HAVE to use my program to come up with the correct answers.

Billy, I had a 188 at one time and if I remember correctly it was only supposed to turn 4,200 RPM at WOT, please all a mercury dealer and VERIFY the WOT RPM.

It would be much better to wait until we can get the WOT RPM and MPH, so that I have better numbers to work with and make a better selection than what you have, changing to a SS prop from aluminum can make a BIG difference at times.

H

Hwsiii,

Called my buddy who works at a Mercruiser Authorized dealership... Your correct, 4200 is the max sustained WOT RPM...

Thanks,

Billy