'03 Bayliner 185 4.3 MPI bow high

aw1575

Seaman Apprentice
Hi there. I've just bought a '03 Bayliner 185 with the Mercruiser 4.3MPI to replace a '96 Four Winns Horizon 170 with a Volvo Penta 3.0. The 185 is running a Mercury Marine Revolution 4 S/S 48-857024A46 17P prop. The boat has plenty of power and speed but I'm disappointed in the speed and attitude on hole shot. The old Four Winns pulled strongly and planed quickly with virtually no bow lift. In comparison the Bayliner sends the bow so high that you can't see over the front. It then takes ages to level out. It's dangerous! And, if I can describe this correctly, the lift is almost like a two step process. On initial takeoff the bow lifts but not too bad, then as the power comes on it lifts way higher (almost like a second lift as the prop bites) and takes a long time to flatten out. The leg is trimmed hard in (rams almost touching the sacrificial anodes) but the boat attitude gives the impression it wants to be in more. Sort of like on the old outboard days when you could put a wedge between the outboard and the transom to angle it in more. I don't think you can do this with I/O's? As this is a factory standard fit-out I figured there would be hundreds of people out there running this setup or having set up props for this setup so would be interested to hear your views and experiences. We are not running any artificial ballast and having a couple of big guys in the bow only made a small difference. We are running a Monster Tower but the attitude is the same with or without a wakeboarder. Thanks heaps. Alan.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: '03 Bayliner 185 4.3 MPI bow high

Speaking in generalities:: a few things come to mind.While a 4 bladee prop is usually
considered to help hole shot I have to wonder if the revolution has a lot of bow lift.
Is there any excess water in the bilge?Is it possible it was stored incorrectly
allowing the flotation under the floor to absorb water?

Enigma

Cadet

I have a 2002 maxum 19ft 5.0mpi that had similar issues. Just fitted a set of smart tab sx, seems to have solved all the issues with no apparent downsides...

aw1575

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for these ideas. The bilge is dry so that doesn't seem to be an issue and the boat has been stored inside and dry. I will try some different props as I don't think the Revolution is ideal. With the trim tabs, apart from keeping the bow down on take off, what other effects did they have? Did the wake change? Was there any effect when trimming the boat up when running etc? Fuel consumption change? Thanks again.

Enigma

Cadet

I can not comment on the fuel economy as the tabs have not been fitted long enough. They will sort out the bowrise and help the boat plane quicker and at a lower speed approx 3mph on my boat. The tabs improve the ride and handling by noticable margin. Low speed handling is night and day basically it goes where you point it with no constant corrections. They do reduce wake alot which may be an issue for boarding but I am a novice... You can also buy retractor clips for the tabs that stop them working completely if you want the wake.
The trim fuction works exactly the same with the tabs.
Top speed remains the same for now but with a bit of adjustment it may be possible to get more of the hull out of the water.
I am very happy with the difference the tabs have made for a very low price easy to fit and set up.

rusty7502003

Recruit
Enigma, I also own a 2003 mod. 185 and would LOVE to install the Nautical smart tabs but they stick out 10". That would surely hit the stock swim ladder. Did you have an issue with that? Thanks for your help.
Rusty

aw1575

Seaman Apprentice
I didn't have.problems clearances and they worked well but they decimated the wake so absolutely hopeless for wakeboarding hence I removed them

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
I didn't have.problems clearances and they worked well but they decimated the wake so absolutely hopeless for wakeboarding hence I removed them
Did you note above that there are retractor clips for boarding?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Enigma, I also own a 2003 mod. 185 and would LOVE to install the Nautical smart tabs but they stick out 10". That would surely hit the stock swim ladder. Did you have an issue with that? Thanks for your help.
Rusty

Enigma won't be answering you. That was his last post. Click on the Forum Help link in the sig below and start your own thread instead of piggybacking onto a 4 year old topic.