whats up with cleaver props?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenwell001

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have the chance to buy a mercruiser 21 pitch prop SS cleaver prop and was wondering what are the pros and cons with the cleaver vs the normal props

torbjorn

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: whats up with cleaver props?

i have the chance to buy a mercruiser 21 pitch prop SS cleaver prop and was wondering what are the pros and cons with the cleaver vs the normal props

Cleaver is designed as surfacing prop, running with at least 1 blade dry per revolution. They were also made to handle supercavitating conditions as fully submerged props. You're interested in the former, not the latter. That said, there are plenty of round ear surfacing props, the Mercury chopper, e.g. A chopper will provide more bow lift than a cleaver, typically. It depends on what sort of performance you want. Main thing is to get the right dia. x pitch so that the motor turns enough RPM to develop its hp.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

There are many designs of cleavers just like choppers, thru hub props, OT props and so on. Generally, very generally, speaking cleaver props tend to have stern lift rather than bow or overall lift. There are over hub cleavers and thru bub cleavers. Cleavers with very little rake and cleavers with substantial rake. Some vent a lot on acceleration, some hook up hard. Is it an over hub, solid hub prop or a thru hub? Solid hub or rubber cushion hub?

greenwell001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the ebay Item number: 200458749823

i dont understand why the guy says it has great stern lift. but is also good for bow heavy boats.....i would think my boat would be stern heavy hence wanting stern lift

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

Unless you have a light overpowered boat it likely won't work well for you. What kind of boat and engine is this going on? Chopper props work better for heavier boats like Bass boats with pads and they have more bow lift, cleavers are meant for boats that don't require bow lift like tunnels and air entrainment hulls.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Sorry to bring up an old thread....what was the verdict on this ? Did you get it and what was it like ? Wondering what difference it would make with me going from an ideally suited all round 19"p laser 2, to a 21"p cleaver ? I've read that a cleaver will behave like a lower pitched round ear stainless, with regards to rpm.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sorry to bring up an old thread....what was the verdict on this ? Did you get it and what was it like ? Wondering what difference it would make with me going from an ideally suited all round 19"p laser 2, to a 21"p cleaver ? I've read that a cleaver will behave like a lower pitched round ear stainless, with regards to rpm.

Don't you know how to start a new thread? Not one single member in this thread visits anymore, so expect any replies from them. That's one of the reasons for our 90 rule. Read about it by clicking the Forum Help in the sig below.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.