Honda '99 4-stroke Prop 40 HP

fishingfrenzy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a '99 Honda on a 18' Lund Alaskan SSV 18, rated for 60 HP. The old prop is dinged up and I need a new one, it's 11-1/4 * 13. Is that the best pitch for the boat? I know it's underpowered and I'm not looking for speed, but what's the best for hole shot and general decent speed? I bought this boat used as a package, I know it's underpowered but the price I paid was worth the boat alone, so I'll keep the 40 for a few years until I can upgrade. Thanks for any help!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Honda '99 4-stroke Prop 40 HP

Your under powered but not terribly so.Would need a lot more info to figure a prop.
Do you have any max rpm and speed info? A tinytach $40 and easy to install will get you the rpm and maybe you could borrow a gps for speed.
In the meantime how is the hole shot Will it plane with 4 guys and light gear.
What is your feel for the speed?
Your boat dry is 475 not bad.My very similar Crestliner 18 with a tiller 25 Gale
would plane with 6 average sized adults. And later with a 50 Evinrude it would close to fly with one adult.Handled people almost like they weren't there.I would think with a carefully selected prop you should do as well. Without those figures or at least a detailed description of the performance its impossible to select a prop correctly,especially without present max rpm.

Last edited:

fishingfrenzy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This boat was bought used this winter and not taken out on the water. I understand how that can be a huge mistake, but the price I paid was great for the boat alone, the motor was a bonus. With that said, I was recommended by a prop shop to get a Solas Aluminum 11.6 X 11 or a 11.4 X 12. I understand that there is a ton of information not available but if there is any advice for what is given I would VERY much appreciate it!! Also, is there anywhere I could get more information on the tinytach? Thanks!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

There is a tiny tach site don't know the address.It uses pulses right from a plug wire
you need to order wire length as it can't be spliced.If I was going to get one I would set it up like a hand held just for testing once setup remove it.
You would order for number of cylinders and 2 or 4 stroke.If there is a prop on the boat I would wait on the selection get a tiny tach and give it a good test.Perhaps you can borrow a gps otherwise at least the tach will get you the rpm.
The prop sizes suggested seem close.Will the prop shop let you test props?