Spun rubber bushing in Prop

andrewsailor

Seaman
Hi All,
I have a 20 hp honda 4 stroke and the prop has spun the rubber bushing in the hub,there is no damage to the motor,dont even know what I hit.Anyways my question is ,have tried to find a replacement rubber hub but have been unsucessful,any ideas on a easy fix so I can use it as a spare prop.It only works at just above idol.
Thanks Everyone

puddle jumper

Captain
Re: Spun rubber bushing in Prop

Hi All,
I have a 20 hp honda 4 stroke and the prop has spun the rubber bushing in the hub,there is no damage to the motor,dont even know what I hit.Anyways my question is ,have tried to find a replacement rubber hub but have been unsucessful,any ideas on a easy fix so I can use it as a spare prop.It only works at just above idol.
Thanks Everyone

You should post this in the Honda or propeller forums here.

andrewsailor

Seaman

Just realised I was in the wrong forum !0m seconds after I posted this.
Thanks

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

eh your choices are take it to a prop shop and have it re hubbed or toss it and buy a replacement.... the rubber hubbed props are pressed and bonded together so it's not like the newer modular props where you change it out yourself in a couple minutes

Jeep Man

Commander

Take it to a prop guy. For 50 bucks,you get your prop back,like new.

andrewsailor

Seaman

There are no prop shops whereI live in NW ontario unfortunatley,

Jeep Man

Commander

There are no prop shops whereI live in NW ontario unfortunatley,

Where are you Andrew? Is there a marina nearby? They can give you a name of where to send it, if not, I can probably source one for you. I thought you were stateside, so as usual, it'll cost you a bit more. I've got my 14x11 in for repair at a local shop and they estimate $70, but it beats buying a new one for $200 plus.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Do an online search and find someone you can ship it to.......

andrewsailor

Seaman

I Live up here in Thunder Bay,Ive been to the Honda dealer and all they want to do is sell me another one,I can just buy one out of the States for under $100.I am a machinist so was thinking of machining a bushing out of some kind of Plastic,Has anyone tried this?
It is only going to be used as a spare so not having it run at 100% is no big deal

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well the point of the rubber is to absorb vibration and shock that would otherwise damage your motor... a plastic bushing would need a spline drive to engage the prop... I think it would be an unwise way to save $100 but if you are absolutely intent on it the turn an aluminum hub and weld it in..... again I would not suggest it but that would be about the only practical way to do it...... then when you hit a log and take out the lower unit of your engine you will be comforted by the $100 you saved on the prop......

There are plenty of places you can send it to but I would just buy one.
whatever you choose good luck

andrewsailor

Seaman

Good call smokeonthewater,guess i'm going prop shopping
Thanks Again

Jeep Man

Commander

I Live up here in Thunder Bay,Ive been to the Honda dealer and all they want to do is sell me another one,I can just buy one out of the States for under $100.I am a machinist so was thinking of machining a bushing out of some kind of Plastic,Has anyone tried this?
It is only going to be used as a spare so not having it run at 100% is no big deal

Barrett's Piranha Prop Shop, 121 Frances St.W., Thunder Bay (807)577-6246