using the right prop for watersports

Shifflett115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
whats up guys i have a 1985 bayliner with a force 125 on it and next year the family wants to get into watersports i have a 15p uncupped prop on it now and my wot rpm is 5150 , the max rpm is 5500. the boat planes off good but im worried how it will plane off with a tube or someone on watetrski's ,should i maybe step down to a 13p prop or just leave it alone, also would i see a difference between a 15p uncupped prop and a 13p cupped prop

Philster

Captain
Re: using the right prop for watersports

Drop to a 14 (if avail) or 13P, 4-blade prop and enjoy life.

4 blades = better for water sports.

They have better bite and are instantly better for acceleration. A modern prop will get you better computer-aided design (CAD), more rake and proper cupping.

When going to a newer prop from an old design, you get to do something rare: Improve every aspect of performance. Low-, mid- and high-end improvements. You can probably do the ultimate: Get on plane faster AND maintain your top speed potential. RARE. Usually only happens when going from a vanilla old school prop to a modern, CAD, raked and cupped model.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If it was me I would wait and see what your performance is like.
No doubt a prop change will improve your hole shot,stay on plane at lower power and could in a rare result maintain max speed. Something like smart tabs can can do pretty much the same thing and improve handling as well.
Both are viable solutions.

walleyehed

Admiral

The only prop that I am aware of for the Force /Crysler will be the std 13P, 15, 17, 19 and "maybe" a 21.
13P cupped will give approx. the same speed and RPM as an un-cupped 15P. The hole-shot might be slightly better and if on any other outboard we could vent the prop and help even more....the Force/Crysler discharge exhaust thru the rear of the av plate-no thru hub exhaust, so venting won't help. A 13p cupped may help with your wants. the 100 or so choices of rake and cup designs are not available for this engine so you will be limited in design and the only way you could utilize the technology of a 4-bld would be to raise the engine on the transom to get the 4-bld up and where it is designed to be run....a waiste of money if you don't wish to raise the engine mount height.

hwsiii

Commander

That is what is bad about having older non-supported outboards.

H