Question about cotter pin size:

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer
I need to send some of the cotter pins that keeps the prop nut from turning off on a 1994, 2 two cylinder, 30 horse Evinrude to a friend who is out of the country.

Since I have an identical motor, I would ordinarily just check out my motor and buy some of whatever size is on it. Unfortunately, my motor is a quite a few miles from here right now.

Can anyone here give me a clue as to what size and length of cotter pin to get?

Right now my buddy is running a bent nail in place of the pin and isn't too comfortable with that.

TIA

Mel

john from md

Commander
Re: Question about cotter pin size:

Send him a selection of widths from Westmarine. Sent the long ones as they can always be cut.

John

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Question about cotter pin size:

John,

Thanks fo the info. I started to do as you suggested, then someone offered me 25 pins of the right size so those went into the mail this morning. I'll keep the Westmarine info in case he needs more later on.

As an aside, I know I called him my buddy but he is more acquaintance than friend. I met him briefly while he was in the States on vacation several months ago. He is doing some kind of biological survey in South America for the UN and some of his stories about dealing with native boat and vehicle mechanics are hilarious.

When I get the chance I'm gonna post some of them in the iBoat forums.