Fastest way to get on plain

g boy

Recruit
Is it safe to assume the fastest way to get on is to have the trim all the way up to get on plane ? Then trim motor down to needed angle.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Fastest way to get on plain

Is it safe to assume the fastest way to get on is to have the trim all the way up to get on plane ? Then trim motor down to needed angle.

If I did that with my boat, you'd toss your cookies.

Fast planing takes brute force. In a high performance boat, you tuck the motor in so the thrust pushes upward on the stern, then trim it out to bring the bow up. If your're drag racing you run a 24V high speed trim system.

Do you own a boat?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Just to be clear trim in (prop closer to the boat)to plane then trim out carefully to a point of best performance.Not necessarily full trim.

junior1113

Senior Chief Petty Officer

fastest way to get on a plane is 4 blade prop. with tabs and jack plate. these three tings will assure fast hole shots

RepoMan207

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not to get off task here but.....

fastest way to get on a plane is 4 blade prop. with tabs and jack plate. these three tings will assure fast hole shots

Now see, I have been told conflicting info all around about Trim Tabs. The Techs pretty much all say not to use tabs to get out of the hole. There strictly for leveling out. something about alot of undue stress on crucial parts was the sighted reasoning every time. One could argue trimming is the same punishment, therefore it's designed for it.

I have them on my Century 24' cuddy with a 454, pitched at 19......let me tell ya, she stands straight up in the air until we get up on plane. The tabs will help with that last little hump, but thats about it.

hwsiii

Commander

Theoretically speaking, every boat is different and even the same boat running with very different blade geometry props will react differently to the trim angle of the prop at takeoff, and this doesn't even take into account how much weight is in the boat and where the loads are placed.
But on most boats, in most conditions it is preferable to have the motor trimmed in for the most efficient rise to plane.
Let's take Repo's boat for instance, he is running a very high rake prop for bow lift on his boat and possibly he is stern heavy, so when he is trying to get up to planing speed the bow rises very high because of the high rake in the prop, in his case it is normally better to tuck the prop up under the boat to keep the bow down when he is trying to get on plane. Doing this would decrease the angle of the bow at takeoff and thus make the transition to planing quicker, but if he has enough blade surface area in his prop and enough horsepower he will only be at that attitude for a short time. But with the wrong prop or not enough horsepower he could take a longgg time to get on plane. A prop that had more stern lift built into it would stop the bow from rising so high and would normally get him on plane quicker, but that prop may not lift the bow high enough when he is trying to get maximum speed. So it is normally tradeoffs as always.
In my opinion there is no absolute answer to the trim angle required for the best transition to plane for all boats, as everyone is different, and the horepower and the loads and props can be different for even one boat, so that under certain conditions you would want to trim the boat at a very different angle than you would normally use.
But I will say again under most circumstances and most boats it is preferable to have the motor trimmed in and not out.

H