1988 Force 85HP prop

TexasBayFisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Will any 15 spline prop of the correct size fit?
I'd like to get a Hustler prop
http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Search_All--Propellers/H1-1317/?part_num=H1-1317&rotation=Both

Though it says hub kit 30, I believe my engine takes hub kit 102
Basically what I need to know is if I find a stainless steel 13x15 or 13x17 prop on for sale how do I know if it will fit my engine?

Thanks

*edit*
kit 30 is Turning points MasterGuard hub kit part # for use with their Hustler prop
kit 102 is Michigan wheels universal prop kit interchangeable with other hub systems.

TexasBayFisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1988 Force 85HP prop

Would just like to know if I can make any 13 x 15, 13 x 17 prop work if its meant for 15 spline. :confused:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Some props will fit BUT you really need to know what you are doing! Mercury props were 15 spline and some 'Rude props are also.

The earlier Force engines before 1990 used a single exhaust lower unit. Although the shaft and splines were the same as Mercury, the gearcase was smaller. I think 4 1/4 versus 4 1/2 diameter. Although the hub (not the internal rubber hub, the actual cast hub the blades are attached to) of the prop is the same diameter, the flange that fits into the gearcase of the Mercury is larger and will not go. NOW: If you wanted to cut off that flange, then the prop would fit. Since you do not have thru-hub exhaust, removing the flange will do no harm. However, it is a bit of fuss.

You can use either a closed hub prop, or an open hub prop designed for thru-hub exhaust.

Adding to the confusion, some years and sizes of Mercury engines had the same gearcase diameter as the Force.

So you can not just jump at a prop. You need to ask questions and measure first. In addition to 15 splines, the flange diameter you need is 3 5/8. The overall hub length of a closed hub prop needs to be 4 3/8 without the flange and 4 7/8 including the flange.

TexasBayFisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info, that is interesting.
Can you help me find one that fits?

I want to buy one of these Hustler props, and found a 15T that fits a Mercury 90HP with 4-1/4 gear case.
Will this fit an 1988 Force, 85HP ?
http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Search_All--Propellers/H1-1317/?part_num=H1-1317&rotation=Both

Of maybe you know some other year model propellers that will work on a 1988 Force 85HP and I can cross-reference them.

Thanks for all the help

john from md

Commander

As Frank tried to tell you, the hub size is the controlling factor. I have found that all of the non exact replacement aftermarket props have larger hub sizes than the force lower. That means that they won't fit inside the hub so you can't get the nut on. You can cut the flange down but then you get into all sorts of other problems.

Stick with a Michigan replacement 13x19 or 13x17 or buy a newer engine.

John

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are interested, I will have a stainless Michigan Wheel 13X17 prop come available in the very very near future. I just repowered my boat and will be parting out my 1984 Chrysler 75. If you are interested PM me.

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

before buying a new prop I'd go check out some local marinas. I got a rebuilt 13x17 for $50 it looks new. They had a bunch of different ones for that price.

TexasBayFisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As Frank tried to tell you, the hub size is the controlling factor. I have found that all of the non exact replacement aftermarket props have larger hub sizes than the force lower. That means that they won't fit inside the hub so you can't get the nut on. You can cut the flange down but then you get into all sorts of other problems.

Stick with a Michigan replacement 13x19 or 13x17 or buy a newer engine.

John

Thanks John.
So what hub size does the '88 Force 85HP have exactly, and do you know of any other props for different engines that fit?

Will older Chrysler props work with this engine?

TexasBayFisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

By the way Frank, the prop selector at iboats says the 1988-1989 is dual exhaust, so it requires a prop with through-hub exhaust.

Is there much difference between the Michigan Wheel Match, and the Michigan Wheel Vortex?
The match is twice the price.

Thanks

TexasBayFisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do y'all think a Turning Point Hustler prop H1-1317 will fit this engine if I use a Michigan hub kit # 102 or Master Guard 30 from Turning Point.
The Turning Point hub kits and the Michigan hub kits are interchangeable.

I've been searching for HOURS trying to figure this out.

HERE'S THE DEAL:
I found a Michigan Vortex part # 992114 that fits a 90HP Honda (15 spline) that fits the 1988 Force 85HP due to the hub interchange system.
The prop finder ALSO SHOWS that Honda 90HP has a HUSTLER PROP available with interchangeable hub, part # H1-1317 so if it is like the Vortex prop it should fit (if I'm lucky).

So if the same part # Vortex is listed for both engines, wouldnt that Hustler prop fit my motor with a hub kit?

Opinions, please!

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also contact Fairwinds Marina in Annapolis, MD. They have a lot of Chrysler/Force stuff. They helped me with a prop before, and can tell you exactly what you need.

john from md

Commander

You need to slow down and take a deep breath.

First, you can't mx apples and oranges. Even if you find a prop for a johnyrude engine that says it has 15 splines and is 13x91, the shaft size may not be compatable.

The lip on the front of a propeller for a Force 85 is about 3.65 inch diameter. It may be a tad bigger as I had to use a six in caliper to check it. This means it has to fit into the hub of the 85 hp engine the inside diameter of which is less than the prop lip.

Most of the newer props in this horsepower size have larger hubs and won't fit the Force engine.

If you want to look through some props to see the differences, go to a boat salvage yard with your prop in hand and you can see for yourself. You might be able to call Michigan Propellers and ask them but I don't think they will give you anymore info than is on their website.

John

TexasBayFisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm going to order the Hustler 13-1/4 x 17 aluminum prop with a Master Guard hub kit # 30 (15 spline) and hope for the best. If all else fails I'll get a boring old tech Michigan prop and I'll already have an interchangeable hub kit.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Be sure to let us know how you make out.Could be valuable future reference.

TexasBayFisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The tech from Turning point said to try the new "Legacy" series.
Same exact prop as the Hustler, but is backwards compatible with all interchangeable hub systems.

Part # LE2-1317

TexasBayFisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Heard back from the tech @ Turning Point
He says H1-1317and LE1-1317 will NOT work because they are Mercurys using full size gear cases.

His recommendation is H2-1317 (Hustler) and LE2-1317 (NEW Legacy line) props. The Legacy is compatible with the other hub systems on the market.
Hustler and Legacy use identical prop design.

Either prop will require a hub kit.
Legacy requires Master Torque 501
Hustler requires Master Guard 30

Either prop should work, however a thrust washer will be required for the Hustler. Legacy requires a 501 kit which includes a thrust washer.

capri1600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any news on how you made out yet? I have an '83 Force 85hp that needs a prop too.

TexasBayFisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I ordered a Legacy 13-1/4 x 17 prop, search iboats for 31718
Requires hub kit # 501 also, part 31733
Turning point says the hub kit includes a thrust washer, and that it should fit.

I will let you know if it does.