1988 130 hp yamaha prop selection

gdpalumbo

Seaman
Hello, I was wondering if someone could anwser my question. I recently just purchased a 1988 jason fish and ski. The boat has a 1988 130 hp yamaha outboard. The previous owner has 4 props with the boat but says none of them are really the "right" prop for the boat. We went on a test ride on the river and the boat will over-rev with the 19 pitch prop that is on it. Could someone help and let me know what the best prop would be for this boat would be, and maybe let me know what the recommended wide wot rpm is and what the speed of the boat should be at wot? Alittle info about the boat: It is a jason fish and ski it is 18 ft long and weighs about 1000 pounds. Also, would a 4 blade or a 3 blade be better. Thank you!!!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 130 hp yamaha prop selection

Welcome,You did pretty good but::
Read the stickies at the top of the page.
We need the max rpm and speed.You should be able to run it long enough to get the specs.Generally a 4 blade is used to improve low end pereformance at a slight cost of top end.The proper 3 blade will provide good overall performance.We can determine the best for you based on your typical load and activities.

gdpalumbo

Seaman

Thank you for replying. I will have to get it in the water this weekend to really give you a good idea of what the max rpm and speed are, but I don't want to over rev the boat so I can't give it wot. I will try to let you know what the throttle position is it at but how high can I go with the rpm's? Like 5500 ok? As far as my activities go, I will be using the boat to fish and do some skiing and tubing, but I would rather have the low end out of the hole torque as opposed to the high end speed. How much speed loss are we talking with a 4 blade? Thank you!!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

What is the size of the Jason?DeepV?,flat,Are all the props in good condition?
aluminum (usually painted) Stainless (not painted)
The 130 Developes its rating at 5,800.You could certainly run it at 6,000 with no worries and more for the purpose of testing.The "right prop"would depend on your typical load and activity.
I have a feeling that unless it is a light fast boat the 19" prop will be close.

gdpalumbo

Seaman

Thank you for replying. The boat is a shallow v hull, it has the same hull that a ranger or nitro bass boat would, it is a v hull but is not deep. When the previous owner's brother took me on a test ride he was kind of pissed at himself that he even brought the boat to 5800 rpm's like it was going to blow up. Maybe he just doesn't know what the recommended rpm range is right? So what your saying is that with the 19 pitch prop on the boat running it wot 6000 rpm's isn't bad for it. What rpm should it really run at on a regular basis at wot. I just don't want to blow up the engine. Thanks.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

That motor will take 6000 easily. Too bad you didn't snag that 20" cstom Turbo on E Bay earlier this week.

gdpalumbo

Seaman

Ok, good to know, so if the 19 pitch prop at wot will bring the motor to 6000 rpm's then that is an ok prop for the boat. thank you

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

6000 is OK but 5800 with an average load would be better.

gdpalumbo

Seaman

ok, very good, 5800 rpm's with a few people in the boat. Thank you very much for answering my questions it helps me out alot.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If you decide you'd like to look into that 20 let me know. I'll get you his contact info.