18' + 3.0LX prop choice for watersports..

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer
Just curious what you all would suggest..

1) Performance issue you are trying to correct - Would like best all around prop for watersports and fuel efficiency

2) Current prop manufacturer, model, aluminum or stainless and as a minimum. - Unknown manufacturer.. SS
3) Current prop diameter and pitch (required). - 14" x 19P
4) Wide open throttle RPM and speed with an average load (very helpful) - 44mph @ 5100 (Just me) / 41 mph @ 4900 (couple of people)
5) Engine/drive make, model, year, and HP - 1997 3.0LX / Alpha 1 Gen 2

6) Boat make model, year, length and weight - 1997 18' Dynasty BR @ 1775lbs dry weight

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 18' + 3.0LX prop choice for watersports..

I'm not an expert but::
Isn't the 3.0 rated for a max rpm of around 4,800?Your speed seems to me very good for the boat size. and a 3.0.Is it by GPS?You may want to verify the tach is accurate before making any changes. The rpm doesn't seem out of line but running on the edge as you are would be good to know the tach isn't off.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

Interesting.. you would say step down to an 18 from the 19?

I'm worried about the slight redline too.. I was thinking maybe I need to go the other direction?

What would moving to a 4 blade 18 from a 3 blade 19 do overall?

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Me.../9585/?**********=420390772&*******=771041935

That prop would give you the best top end..I am assuming your running a alum prop now

Nope.. running a SS 14x19P now..

Ok so wait, my understanding is that more pitch lowers top end RPM. If I'm redlining or over redline with my 19, why is everyone suggesting an 18P?

I know that if you switch to a 4 blade from a 3 blade then you step down one pitch, but seeing as how I'm hitting 4800-5100 at WOT and Merc suggested redline is 4400-4800, I'm leaning twords this:

http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Me...17641/?**********=934445632&*******=002649489

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

opps me bad that is a pretty hot little motor you have there 5100 with a 19p ss on a 19' boat is very good...But both of those 4 blades will perform quite well for water sports. That Stilletto will act like a 19p 3blade with agressive cupping.

Id say the prop you have on now is perfect..4800 with a few people is dead on..no lugging going on at all when your out with frieinds..... and when your by yourself ..well you probably dont run at wot that much do you???

By the way the you can go to a 19 if you choose in a 4 blade but in a 20 id very much doubt would pan out for the boat

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Nope.. running a SS 14x19P now..

Ok so wait, my understanding is that more pitch lowers top end RPM. If I'm redlining or over redline with my 19, why is everyone suggesting an 18P?

I know that if you switch to a 4 blade from a 3 blade then you step down one pitch, but seeing as how I'm hitting 4800-5100 at WOT and Merc suggested redline is 4400-4800, I'm leaning twords this:

http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Me...17641/?**********=934445632&*******=002649489

Your right it was my misunderstanding, I presumed the current prop was a alum and indeed it is not. Sorry about that..You can go to that prop but it is different from the baypro 2... the 2 series are noted for great lift tons of midrange and very little top end loss.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

In your requirements you asked for:

Best all around prop for water sports and fuel efficiency: Do you realize that you have two parameters (power and economy) that just don't go together. You can have one or the other, but anything in the middle is a compromise.

You are currently running a 14 x 19 SS and are over reving by about 300 RPM. That needs to be corrected so step 1 is to verify the tach. +/-2% error at 5000 RPM can be 5100(+) or 4900(-) actual. That alone can dictate whether or not a prop change is necessary. Chances are it's correct but on the off-chance it's not, you saved yourself several hundred bucks by not having to buy a new prop. Economy will be whatever it is with whatever you buy that gets the engine rpm at the upper end of the manufacturers recommended RPM band. You cannot possibly predict fuel economy outcome from a prop catalog.

Here is where the situation gets complex. You are dealing with two different prop manufacturers (Stiletto and Solas). Just because they both make stainless props does not mean their props with equal pitch perform identically. One will have slightly better hole shot and one will have slightly better top end. Adding four blades throws another factor in to the mix. Since you are quite close to the upper RPM band, slight tweaking can cost you a bunch in trial and error so I suggest you work with a prop shop that has a trial program. Then be a sport and buy from them when you find what you want. Although you might pay more for the prop, it may be well worth it since otherwise you run the risk of buying something that doesn't work out in your favor.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Thanks i mucked this one up abit thinking he had a alum prop. Silvertip has put things into perspective quite nicely, making sure the tach is on i would second very much..

As to the props ive posted the Stilletto BayPro 11 is a stern lifting prop..it will plane you out at lower speeds and have more midrange punch at those speeds...

The Solas HR Titan is a bowlifter it should not have the same lift on the stern..higher planing speeds but higher top end...it all depends on your hull. and as Silvertip has explained there are trade off's to everything

But both props will have more pulling power and lower planing speeds than your 3 blade and in a 18p with people it will be noticeable. Ive had a 18p on a 18' 3.0 and with more than 4 peps shes a bit overworked...a pig...:D

Notice the name's
Solas HR TITAN....not just a Titan
Stilletto BayPro 11...Not a 111

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

Interesting..

To be honest, I have to admit the previous ignorance about stern lifting props.. I had never heard that term before.

I wakeboard/wakeskate so I actually need the boat to be in the water in order to make a nice shaped ramp out back. In fact, I'll be loading her down with fat sacks in the bow and ski locker in order to ramp the wake up nicely.

I've read that a nicer wake comes from actually pushing the bow down instead of just pushing the stern down, so I'm wondering what the combo of heavy bow and mid weight with a stern lifting prop would be. Sounds like I need to find a prop shop that does trials!

So I guess what I'm looking for is something with good low end torque and power while towing and/or running at mid-rpm's. Hauling *** on a glassy river is fun too, but if I had to pick one I would go for the former rather than the latter. Does any of this make sense?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

That would be the Solas the stilletto best quality is getting the boat up and out of the water..you want the exact opposite and the Solas lifts the bow...naturally the stern will fall some..Good luck..Hmm to bad WH doesnt pop in ..;)

Im almost tempted to say stay with the 3 blade..there naturally better diggers than a four..... http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Me...23160/?**********=124131024&*******=206991007

That is a very agressive prop lots of cupping...:D