Hydrofoil Sting Ray Question

Will a Hydrofoil stabilizer fin (sting ray) actually do any good on a 7.5 hp motor. Or does it need to be at least 15 hp or so to really make any noticable difference.

Thanks,Screaming Voodoo

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hydrofoil Sting Ray Question

Probably would slow the boat.What are you trying to do and what type of boat/motor and typical activity.We can probably help solve your problem.

I have a Saturn Sd 365 and currently have a Sears 1981 7.5 gamefisher. I recently aquired a Johnson 20hp that I am going to get running next year. The sting ray that I have states that it is for motors under 30 hp. It also states that it will increase speed, reduce fuel consumption and help manuver the boat easier. I didn't know if it would be a waste of time on the 7.5 or not.

Thanks
screaming voodoo

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

What is a Saturn SD 365?The Gamefisher is somewhat under powered
and weight and weight distribution would be critical.Also motor height and trim.After being sure all is the best it can be give the foil a try.I've had good luck with a couple of foils but you could probably find lots a bad expierences.
I think a better solution might be a tiller extension to get you farther forward.
Just be sure the setup is at its best don't try the fin to mask a poorly setup boat.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If you have problems that can be fixed (helped) by adding one, then maybe it would improve things a little, but just bolting one on for the heck of it won't do anything for you. It is possible to achieve some or most of what's claimed in the propaganda they come with, but it's not just a bolt it on and go type product. To see improvements you need to have an issue it will help, then work with the setup and make adjustments until you see the improvements and also reduce the possible negative affects.

flwestcoastboater

Seaman Apprentice

A tiller extension is a great point if its an issue of weight distribution... Usually you can just go ghetto and throw 1 inch PVC on the throttle, this is a quick easy extension, I would try this out to see if it helps, just keep in mind its probably not too nice b/c of extra stress on the throttle