Running a Mirage on an Alpha Drive?

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer
I read that the Alphas dont really like the Mirage Props. Is there a reson why? I assume it should bolt right up. I need to find a better prop and I'm unsure which direction to go. Best run was 62.3 with 1/4 tank and myself only with a 21 Laser at 5200-5300 RPM's I moved to a 23 Laser and the rpm's dropped to about 5K with 0 mph gain. I assume I'm slipping some more now? With 4 people almost a full tank of gas and the 23 I was a tad over 60 at 4800 RPMs. Any thoughts on which prop to try next? I was thinking the 23 Mirage +

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: Running a Mirage on an Alpha Drive?

I have also tried the laser 11 on a 19' I/O with a volvo outdrive. It slipped terribly....aka the boat turn's a 20p 4 blade to 54@4900 and the laser was a 22p 3blade which did its best to hit 52 and ticking the rev limiter....sure made the boat sound impressive though...shed rev up like she was really going somewhere...but that was about it. By the way WH has experienced the same results with his boat the I/O that is.. (not eonough blade area for heavy I/O's)

Well i cannot say for certain there are some that say the Solas is a japensese knock of the merc mirage in a 3 blade and the rev 4 in a 4 blade..:D

Ive played with about 5-6 different prop's on the boat and have found Stilletto's give the best speed and along with grip (blow out's on turn's) If you like a lot of midrange tourqe the 4 blade BayPro 11 makes the boat pull like a tractor and the 3 blade version has the same grip and will do about 1.5 mph faster

But you need to get a better baseline for a reference point those laser's are really slipping....With that said the Solas props do have a exchange program and free shipping

If you know your gearing you could post it to see just how much slip is going on

http://www.mercuryracing.com/propellers/propslipcalculator.php

pitch.gif
gear_ratio.gif
rpm.gif
speed.gif
slip.gif

%

There's a example of the slip the Wellcraft @ 3100 lbs with a 220 hp v6

Opps didnt post but the results were 16% compared to 8% with the Stilletto's

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I read that the Alphas dont really like the Mirage Props. Is there a reson why? I assume it should bolt right up. I need to find a better prop and I'm unsure which direction to go. Best run was 62.3 with 1/4 tank and myself only with a 21 Laser at 5200-5300 RPM's I moved to a 23 Laser and the rpm's dropped to about 5K with 0 mph gain. I assume I'm slipping some more now? With 4 people almost a full tank of gas and the 23 I was a tad over 60 at 4800 RPMs. Any thoughts on which prop to try next? I was thinking the 23 Mirage +

That is a bit surprising. was the 23" laser in good shape? which vent holes did it have on it, ever worked on, etc...? I went through a hassle at one point only to realize that one of the props I was using had been worked over and wasn't like it has originally been designed. ON my set up the laser 2 was the best all aroud performer.

Sure, the mirage plus will slip right on. I'm running a mirage right now on my alpha drive for everyday use, mainly because it was inexpensive and available in the right pitch range. it has too much bow lift for my set-up and tends to porpoise without the tabs down, but is fine for watersports, etc until I find a good deal on something better in the same pitch range.

The reason I understand that the mirage is generally considered not the best on an alpha drive is that the high blade area and shape were designed for best performance on a bravo drive pushing a bigger boat. It should hook up just fine and work fine overall, but may not be the best performer.

have you ever tried a hydrmotive? you might be surprised. even thought it's alot of diameter, on my current set-up a quad 4 pulls the highest top end and holds the boat like it's on rails. The only reason i don't run it all the time is that it's a solid hub and i boat where there is stuff to hit, also the holeshot in the pitch I have isn't good enough for the skiing we do, etc...

I've also heard and read really good things about the merc vensura - that in same pitch will hook up well and give very good top end. Of course, never really know until you try it. that's the rub on props that there aren't a ton of around. every wonder why there are a lot of second hand mirage plus props around for sale?

My fastest prop on this boat before swapping engines was a turbo 3 blade, but it didn't hold as well in turns.

Have you made the rounds of the local shops and dealers to see what they have on hand used that you could try / buy? also, where are you located?

lots of random info, but hopefully helpful.

oh, and on solas 4bld knockoff.... they sure like close to me when side by side....

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not sure where your read that at, but Mirages work fine with Alpha's. I have a 21p Mirage and a 23p Mirage Plus. Both work fine.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

The laser was purchased used on ebay but seller said it was ran once. It looks in MINT shape. I just got the new combo running and I'm running out of season :( Prob 3 more weeks. Hydromotive is a fe wmiles from my house so I was going to run up there and see what they have. I have a few guys sending me some props from another site to try. But it was weird that the 23 didnt perform any better. All the vent holes were blocked.