• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

prop will not fit different thrust hub washer?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prop will not fit different thrust hub washer?

hi there I purchased a prop from solas part#1513-140-21 my boat is a 1980 mercruiser 260hp engine alpha one drive the prop will not fit If I install the prop with the same thrust hub washer that was there before will no let me put the prop nut, I call solas and they say i need another thrust washer but all the ones I look are the same what I have any ideas thanks.

Re: prop will not fit different thrust hub washer?

Will the prop nut go on, but you can't get it low enough to get the cotter pin in? Is the prop getting onto the washer down on the outer ring? Or hanging up on the pilot "shelf"? Picture?
    Keep the faith!!! We'll be back stronger than ever

Comment

i think i kno what you need, u need that other outer specer with little grooves on it, which slid over the outer shaft its not a big deal you should be able to get it .

Comment

i think you need a brass castle washer do a search on google.

Comment

hi there guys let me show this diagram
          http://mercstuff.com/waterpumpinst.htm

first pic that show the prop and the prop hardware the piece (F) thrust hub if i use the same then the piece (C) and the (A) will not have any space to tie the nut So what im thinking is if they make a thrust hub piece (F) in diferents thickness?. thanks.

Comment

Sometimes C is cast into the prop. Possible?

Comment

nopo and is really weird I call solas tech support and they told me to get a different trust hub (F) but all the ones I found are the same thickness!!!

Comment

Do any of the threads extend to where you could get a thin nut on it? I had to run a very thin nut on my torque shift . . .

Comment

no no thread at all...

Comment

that is strange. If you're near a dealer, you might take pics and stop by the parts counter.

I will try to remember to look at mine tonight. I have both a solas prop and an alpha drive (one drive on the boat, and another with no prop on it in the kitchen). I do seem to recall having to swap washers around to get the solas to fit the way i wanted it to, but had whatever I needed on hand. It was last year so I don't remember off the top. I'll share what I have if noone else posts an answer.
                    Just another moron with a computer and too much time on his hands...

typical rainy afternoon on the river... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Izi3v75jTs

more recent, amateur camera operator for sure!... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHoXsQc6644

Comment

hi tim thanks yes is strange and I called solas yesterday and today and like you said they recommend a different washer but this afternoon Im going to the boat to take the washer that was there before I want to be sure is not the same size of the solas, they guy from solas said the washer from the is 3/8 of a inch so I want to check the one I have in my boat. You know whre can I buy thrust washers on diferents sizes?thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by betayv View Post
                        hi there guys let me show this diagram
                        Originally posted by betayv View Post

http://mercstuff.com/waterpumpinst.htm
                        (F) in diferents thickness.

Yes. What's the thickness of your existing Thrust Washer/Hub?

I just replaced my Prop. I had the same problem. The thickness of my Hub was ~7/8 inch. Apparently these were changed years ago. I purchase one about half the thikcness for $27 and it worked out pefectly.

If your stuck call Petzold's Ship Store. Phone# 860-342-1196

Describe what you have and they can probably help you out.

Gene Brown
                        1974 Thunderbird Formula 180,
                        Mercruiser 888, Ford 302, Holley
                        1958 Rhones 18 (winter project)
                        sigpic

Comment

Sounds like if you stop by the local merc dealer thay'll have the right one. I just checked and my titan 4 fits just right with the thinner washer...
                          Just another moron with a computer and too much time on his hands...

typical rainy afternoon on the river... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Izi3v75jTs

more recent, amateur camera operator for sure!... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHoXsQc6644

Comment

hi there guys I went to two dealers today and I dont know both of them show me the same trhust hub washer that I have just in case the part number mercruiser is 318841, sierra 184220 the size is 3/8 tomorrow I will take pics and show mi situation I will call solas and get my money back the tech support department is really bad I will keep you inform.

Comment

Take a look at this iboats page about 3/4 of the page down it shows the 318841 as an OMC part number . . . The Merc one is a 12-835467, I have one on my desk and it measures a total thickness of 3/8 and the pilot "shelf" reduces the working thickness to 3/16 . . .

PM me, I have few of these if you want one . . . Even one that is worn a little thinner.

Comment

Working...
                              X