Prop Advice for Honda 50 HP

TdLpps

Seaman Apprentice
I currently run a 2007 Honda 50 horsepower on my light 15 foot aluminum runabout. A Honda 13" 3-blade will turn 5500 rpm at 30 mph WOT with a light/moderate load in boat. I wish to achieve 5700-5800 rpm under the same conditions with a four blade prop and calculate that I should drop down to a 11" pitch four blade.

I am looking for a four blade 11" pitch with stern lifting characteristics. Does anyone have a suggestion as to which prop or props would accomplish this?

The two things I would like to accomplish are increased holeshot and more stern lift under acceleration. I realize that combo will likely decrease my top speed slightly, but I find that I can do everything I want at less than 30 mph.

Thanks for any help or responses.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop Advice for Honda 50 HP

Forget the prop swap. For less money you can add smart tabs and get better hole shot due to far more stern lift than any prop can give you. Ability to stay on plane at slower speeds. Eliminate porpoising, get a better ride in rough water, and increase top speed. No -- I don't work for Nauticus -- but I own them as do many other members on this forum. Just do a search for Smart Tabs or Nauticus Smart Tabs to view the many threads. This is what they look like in stainless. Composite versions are also available.

NauticusSmartTabs.jpg

TdLpps

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the quick reply. I do agree that Smart Tabs will produce a better handling boat with proper attitude almost without exception. However, I don't wish to cut and drill the stern of my boat to the degree that it would take to install Smart Tabs.

See below:

358343416_jX3XK-L.jpg

It's an old boat. It is what it is. I'm not trying to make it a fishing boat or a bass boat or a ski boat or a wake board boat. I have done all of those things with it, it just doesn't excel at any of those things. By comparison, it is a Cessna 172 of the lake. It does many things satisfactorily, but does nothing exceptionally.

It has a natural inclination to bow rise under acceleration and I just wish to find a prop that won't make it rise even more than it does already. I am pretty happy with the way it runs out with the 13 pitch three blade, but want to get to 5700-5800 rpm at WOT and increase acceleration.

Again, thanks.

Prop MD

Cadet

What Diamiter is the prop you currently have on there? You may be able to go with a smaller diamiter 4 blade and keep your rpms up and have your hole shot.

Irv964

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe a 4 blade prop will drop your rpm's lower so you will probably have to choose one with less pitch than what youare currently running? (not 100% sure on that so wait for a more knowledgable reply)
Do a search on here for 4 blade props and you will probably be able to figure out what pitch/prop would work best for your application?
I also copied this, it is the prop menu if you will for Honda 50's in the 13 pitch. Not a lot of choices but it's a start........Irv964

http://www.boat-props.com/propeller...id=206&**********=358542072&*******=592107465

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Boy that sure looks a lot like the 56,57 Crerstliners.
Have you moved your gastank and battery forward.That honda sure puts a lot of weight at the stern.
My 57 18ftCrestliner planes pretty easywith a 65 Merc 500 tiller,gas tank at the bow battery about 4ft from the transom. Of course I think the Merc is at least 50 lbs lighter than the Honda.

TdLpps

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all of the replies. I appreciate your efforts and interest.

The Honda motor actually isn't that much heavier than the Evinrude that was on there before and the attitude at rest is/was nose high with either motor.

The boat planes very quickly ( just a few seconds) with the 13 pitch three blade and once on plane the attitude flattens out well. It is very responsive to trim change and I can choose whether to run relatively flat on smooth water or stick the nose up some when it gets rough. The initial acceleration to plane is quick but slightly nose high.

The battery (a light, lawn tractor battery) and 5-10 gallons of gas are mounted in front of the splash well but behind the rear set. Either could be moved forward, but the only place I could mount them is in front of the firewall in the extreme forward section of the bow and I don't want to run a fuel line or battery cables over that distance.

I have another prop, a 14 pitch four blade--10 3/8" diameter (about one inch smaller than the three blade 13 inch), that only allows 5200 rpm WOT at almost 33 mph on smooth water. Acceleration from a stop or with a load is sluggish compared to the 13 pitch three blade. The 13 pitch three blade gets me about 5500 rpm WOT at 30 mph.

I'd like to get to 5700-5800 rpm. A three blade 12 pitch should get me there. Because I want to run a four blade at 5700-5800 rpm, I estimate that I'll need an 11 pitch four blade (14" four blade 5200 rpm, minus 3 inches pitch should increase rpms 450 to 600 rpm, placing me in the 5650 to 5800 range).

So, what I'd like to know if anyone is familiar with a prop brand or model that offers a four blade 11 pitch with stern lifting characteristics. Can any experts help?

Thanks.

TdLpps

Seaman Apprentice

I finally decided on my prop purchase, ordered it from the iboats store, received it last week, installed it over the weekend and had it out on the lake today.

**Please understand that this is not intended to be advertising. Please do not delete as spam. My intention is to give someone else with a Honda 50 and a similar boat some guidance based on my experience. When I performed a search, I was not able to get an answer to my specific question.**

I continued research on my own and decided to buy a Solas Amita 4, part# 3313-111-11, an 11 pitch 4-blade prop with 11.1" diameter. Solas advertises this prop as follows:

* Four Blade Aluminum propeller
* Exclusive Solas squeeze casting
* Wide blade design specifically for 4-stroke engines
* Increased static thrust for heavy loads & manueverability
* Great stern lift and mid-range performance

The prop is a good looking four blade, white in color, and fills in the space between the prop shaft and anti-ventilation plate well, leaving a gap of approximately 3/4". It installed without any problems.

I went to Lake Elsinore this morning, arrived about 9:30 and didn't have to wait to launch. The surface of the lake was like glass, there was very little breeze, and the air temp was about 80 degrees. I counted four other boats on the lake, so I rarely encountered any other wakes.

I cruised at 15 mph, just on plane, for a few miles, allowing the engine to warm up. When I opened the motor up fully, the rpms quickly jumped up to 5900 rpms and speed jumped up to 28 mph. I made one full lap of the lake at full throttle and played with the trim setting. At 6000 rpm indicated I moved 29 mph and maintained this speed in both directions.

Next I tried acceleration tests. With the boat idling in gear I was moving about 3.5 mph. My idle was set higher than intended because I had last used the boat at 6500 feet, so I idled along faster than usual.

When I jammed the throttle to full--I didn't move it eventually to full throttle--the boat jumped up onto plane. I didn't even notice a transition onto plane; it didn't begin to move, raise the nose, accelerate, and then eventually get onto plane. The boat was just instantly on plane and the gps I was using to record my speed could not keep up with the rate of acceleration.

I stopped and tried again several times with very similar results. When I timed my acceleration to 25 mph indicated gps, I received an average of five seconds. This may be conservative because there is a slight delay with the gps. I may have actually been at 26-27 mph when it indicated 25 mph.

I tried two additional high speed passes and eventually got to about 6100 rpm at 29.8 mph gps.

Needless to say, I'm very happy with the prop. Because I was in the boat alone, my acceleration, top speed, and rpms were likely 200-300 rpms higher then I'll see with four people in the boat or while pulling a skier or tuber.

All of the activities we do are performed between idle cruise and 25 mph. This prop gives me great acceleration, stern lift and is ideal for the conditions that I use it for. I did lose some top speed, but I rarely used the boat above 30 mph before, and I can get there much, much quicker now.

A 12 pitch might give back a little top speed, but I don't think I'm willing to give up the acceleration I have now. If I have any complaints, and its minor, it would be the color. At first I liked the white because it contrasted nicely with the silver engine. After running it today I have exhaust stains on the inside of the hub. The previous gray hub did not show the exhaust stains as much. Pretty minor, huh?