Prop Grease

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Prop Grease

Right or wrong I just use regular number 2 ep grease on my propshaft, I regrease it at least once a year and it is still greasy when I take it apart. As has been said before "any grease is better than no grease"

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

I bought Gymbal bearing greese and thats whats in my only greese gun. I hav eused both wheel bearing greese and merc gymbal bearign greese on the shaft and its worked just fine. Just the Gymbal bearing greese is more expensive I guess.

Robj

Lieutenant

It is not so much the type of grease, but how often it is applied. Those that have problems are not because they used the wrong type of grease, but because they never used any grease. Use your wheel bearing grease, and inspect/re-apply annually and you will never have any problems.

Have a great day,

Rob.

prc03sx195

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can someone explain what exactly needs to be greased? I am replacing the prop in the next few days. Thanx

paul

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Can someone explain what exactly needs to be greased? I am replacing the prop in the next few days. Thanx

paul

The splines that the prop slides onto need to be coated with a film of grease to keep the prop from becoming stuck to the shaft.

TJEli

Cadet

So if you don't have any marine grease handy, standard bearing grease will do the trick?

-Eli

Bondo

Staff member

So if you don't have any marine grease handy, standard bearing grease will do the trick?

Ayuh,...
V
V
V
V
V
V

Irv964

Petty Officer 1st Class

Has anyone ever used Bel-Ray waterproof motorcycle grease before? I have used it for quite a few years and in my opinion you will not find a better waterproof grease, it lasts a long long time. It is pricey of course and comes in small tubs but I bet you will agree it is worth every penny.........Irv964
http://www.belray.com/consumer/product.fsp?pid=13631