1992 or 1993 60 hp mariner prop and water pump

denis5893

Recruit
hi i just got my motor and started it and it took about 20 seconds for the water to comr out and after that it worked good until i would stop the engine and started it again,the same thing appened.is this normal for these kind of engine or i should change the water pump.if so ,i would like to know where it is located i also think that the prop is to little for the engine.i have a 50 hp evinrude and the prop is way bigger.what is the normal size for the prop.thanks

1ford4x4

Recruit
Re: 1992 or 1993 60 hp mariner prop and water pump

water pumps or impellers should be changed ever two to three years every two if you run in a sandy river alot. your prop size should be around a 10 to 13 pitch and around an 11 1/4 to 11 1/2 inch diameter. you have to take the lower unit down to get to your water impeller. it usually have three bolts holding it in. one on each side you will need a open end wrench and one on the lower rear on top of the prop you will need a socket to get to that one.don't start your outboard dry the water impeller is rubber and it rides in a stainless steel housing if it is dry when you start the motor the rubber will stick to the s.s. and tear the rubber off. then you don't get the water flowing thru the motor like it should and then you get to the point where it takes 20 seconds for the water to build up pressure just to pee it out. then you get to the point where you don't have any water coming out at all.

Last edited: