Props for 7.5 hp Johnson/Evinrudes (1954-58)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbeaton

Commander
Everyone always asks how to get more power out of their old Johnson/Evinrude 7.5 hp motors. As side from proper boat set-up and weight distribution correct propping is the only way to acheive better performance. It has commonly been mentioned that switching to the smaller 2 blade 8x7 prop of the 5.5 hp or an aftermarket 3 blade prop will improve performance. I decided to test out this theory.

I took out a 1954 Fleetwin today and tested three different props. My girlfriend also helped in the testing so I have two different sets of results.

The props used were a 2 blade 8 x 7.5 prop from a 5.5 hp, the standard 2 blade 8 x 8.5 prop of the 7.5 hp and a bronze 3 blade 8 x 7 Michigan Wheel prop.

The boat is a 12.3" deep aluminium utility. The load included the operator at the stern and a full 3 gallon tank in the bow. My weight is 200 lbs. I'm smart enough not to try and guess my girlfriends weight! Let's just say average female weight.

The results with me were as follows:

2 blade 5.5 hp prop = 13.2 kmh/8.2 mph
2 balde 7.5 hp prop = 15 kmh/9.3 mph
3 blade 7.5 hp prop = 18 kmh/11.2 mph

Her results:

2 blade 5.5 hp prop = 17.6 kmh/10.9 mph
2 balde 7.5 hp prop = 20.5 kmh/12.7 mph
3 blade 7.5 hp prop = 19.2 kmh/11.9 mph

The 5.5 hp prop performed the worst of the three. You could hear the engine over reving and WOT speed was significantly less. It did get to plane faster with me in the boat than the 7.5 hp prop. Well, that's not entirely true. I didn't exactly achieve plane, but it got to pre-plane faster.

The 7.5 hp prop was better suited to the lighter load of my girlfriend. She much preferred it over the others. However, with me in the boat it was a dog to get on plane.

The 3 blade prop only slightly underperformed for my girlfriend, but it worked great for me. My final speed was significantly faster and I got on plane much quicker.

Conclusion - for heavy loads the 3 blade 8 x 7 prop can't be beat and closely rivals the stock 2 blade 8 x 8.5 prop for lighter loads.

Attached is a photo of the girlfriend running the stock 7.5 hp prop.

A little video of it on youTube entitled "1954 Fleetwin Running on a boat"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1_JCS_1UcI

Attachments

• Fleetwin.jpg
    Fleetwin.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Props for 7.5 hp Johnson/Evinrudes (1954-58)

It would really be interesting to see the rpm.also speed with 2 adults.
I think it would do better with the driver in the middle seat with a tiller extension.Obviously plane quicker and run faster.Maybe tighten the steering tension and steer by leaning.
I wonder if the 3 blade ran out of rpm with your wife.Maybe a prop shop could repitch to 8 or 8 1/2.

wbeaton

Commander

It would definately get better results if I used a tiller extension. When I lean as far forward as I can and stretch my arm back to steer it jumps a few kmh faster. However, I'd never run with an extension in real life so I didn't test it that way.

With two adults or me and a spare motor up front I was getting 11kmh/6.8mph with the standard prop and with the 3 balde and just a motor up front I got 17.5kmh / 10.9 mph. With my girl in the back and me up front it hit 15kmh/9.3mph.

I wondered if a higher pitch would be better, too. I'm going to keep my eyes open for another 3 blade prop.

mayfieldkm

Recruit

Wayne,

I have a 1955 Evinrude 7.5hp (model 7518). I am interested in trying a 3 blade for it. Can you tell me specifically which one will fit my application? I have the stock 2 blade now.

Thanks

Kevin

white95v6

Cadet

hmm very interesting. i may have to do some testing on my 1955 cd-12 5.5hp and see what i have for results. also could you tell me what props will and will not fit my seahorse.

thanks for the great info

D

DJ

The difference between the 3 blade (brass) and 2 blade (weedless) on my '57' 7.5 is very noticeable.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I can tell you that in 55 the brochure said max speed was"over 12 mph".
That would be a reasonably light regular(non racing) boat with a smooth bottom.
Stock prop was a 2 blade 8 X 7 1/4. rpm rating 3,500 to 4,500.hp was rated at 4,000.A tiller extension will be a big help.Our old Bucaneer 5(cousin to your 5.5) would pop my 180lbs on plane on our 12ft flat bottomed steel boat and approached that 12 mph rating.Of course while the boat was heavy the relatively smooth flat bottom helped the hole shot and speed.
Most aluminum boats bottoms are cluttered with keels and rivots slowing them.
While your gearcase limits the height for mounting your motor raising it could
and a little speed. Just hold it up with a stick while you tighten the clamps.
Be sure they have a good grip.
Your motor from where it rests in the transom to the antivent plate(just above prop) will be 17" your transom is likely around 15 measured vertically not along the angle of the transom.Should be room to play with the height.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The difference between the 3 blade (brass) and 2 blade (weedless) on my '57' 7.5 is very noticeable.
The brass was sort of the speed prop of the day with a more sofisticated design especially compared to the aluminum props of the day.Most likely would exceed the
17 mph rating in the 57 brochure.

kbert1171

Seaman
where can i find one of the three blade props for my 58 7.5 johnson?
what other year and hp would fit?

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
holy%20thread%20resurrection.jpg

kbert1171

Seaman
lol. yes, i realize ive brought it back from the dead, but i was just outside admiring that beautiful vintage motor and it just got me curious. i love that motor. just wanted to give it a little help. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
where can i find one of the three blade props for my 58 7.5 johnson?
what other year and hp would fit?

Please start a new thread of your own. This one went to sleep over 8 years ago.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.