Raker prop on Merc motor

ACAMACIAN

Seaman
Can I use my raker prop on a mercury motor? If so is what do I need to do to make it work.
Also what max rpm should a 02, 225hp merc efi run at?

ACAMACIAN

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Raker prop on Merc motor

I use to run one ! Had a 225 on a 17ft. They are designed to run half way , to one third ,out of the water. So low water pick up is a must. So you don't fry motor. I don't remember pitch. But will they will give you one heck of a rooster tail...Built it for speed...You should run the same RPM's.
I forgot to metion they come out of the hole slow. But build speed.I put a whale tail on it to improve hole shot.

walleyehed

Admiral

To run a Raker on a Merc, you must use the OMC thrust washer if it's within an 1/8" of an inch from the gear case.
If you run the Raker and produce a rooster-tail higher than about the top of the cowl on the engine, you're running inefficiently.
If you run a Gen 1 or Gen 2 Raker you'll have the best luck. Look for 3/8" vent holes, and you shouldn't have any hole-shot issues.

ACAMACIAN

Seaman

First off thanks for the responses. I haven't tried it on the water yet as it is rubbing on the gear case, and that is with using the omc thrust washer. Is there different thickness washers for this application. I do remember I bought this washer last year for this prop as the washer I had didn't work, but this was on a Johnson motor. Is there a merc washer for a raker prop?? This prop does have the vent holes so it may be ok if I can get it to work.
Any other suggestion or advice??

Thanks
THE ACAMACIAN

walleyehed

Admiral

A thrust washer from a flo-torqII kit (for an OMC) may work with that prop.
We've ran the Rakers before on Merc engines...I don't recall if there was something else we had to change though....
I'll check an OMC against a Flo-torq washer and see what the diff is.