Bent prop shaft on a Honda BF130

lenny4077

Recruit
My neighbor just bought a "new to him" boat and we found out that the prop shaft is slightly bent. We figured this because when the motor is at idle with the prop off there is a little wabble to the shaft.

My question is would it be cheaper/better to replace just the shaft and bearings (if they are bad) or just replace the whole lower unit.

Does anyone know about what it would cost to have either of these replaced?

I did a search on this thread and found a guy in Hawaii who had his done for about $350, but that was from a mechanic friend of his and was back in 2005

Thanks,

Lenny

rndn

Commander
Re: Bent prop shaft on a Honda BF130

Welcome to the forum!!:):)
Are you sure the bearing are bad instead of a bent shaft? If it is a bent shaft then additional damage may also have happened at the same time. It would be a shame to replace the shaft and then find out when the shaft was being bent, it broke something else in the motor as well. It sounds like you may not be an outboard expert? If not I would suggest having it done at a Honda marine service center. I know it's a lot more money, but in the end you really want a good reliable outboard, right?

lenny4077

Recruit

We just picked up the boat on Saturday, and he is considering taking it back if it will cost too much to fix it.

It is quite a shame as the old owner tells us he didn't know that he hit anything, but there is a definate wabble to the prop.

Not only that, but this is the exact boat that he has wanted to get for a long time and he finally found one that was in his price range.

Does anyone know about how much it would cost to get the shaft and bearing replaced?

My neighbor is very mechanical, and I am good at getting the right tools. Is this something that can be done if we had the manuals and bought new parts??

Thanks,

Lenny

rndn

Commander

If you had the manuals and bought the right parts you could fix anything. Your first posting didn't sound like anybody was mechanically inclined. Have you put a dial indicator on it to measure the runout?

lenny4077

Recruit

My neighbor dropped off the lower unit at the repair shop this morning. The seller had sent an email stating he would make things right by paying for the repairs - he just wants to see a quote (which is reasonable). Thank you for all your help on this, he was getting very anxious when he heard that a new lower unit would cost about $6k. We never did hear if this was right or not, but it sounds pretty high for a lower unit.

Lenny