Best Prop for Mercury 35hp on 20' Pontoon

2fs2ns

Cadet
Yes it's underpowered...that's in the budget...

Until then though, I need to either get my current prop repaired (little boogered), or get a new one.

New boat to me, I don't know WOT for this engine.

Any suggestions from someone with this same setup? '89 Mercury 35, 20' Bass Buggy.

Thanks guys!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Best Prop for Mercury 35hp on 20' Pontoon

If the original prop performed ok for you get it repaired or buy an exact replacement. The numbers are on the barrel or hub of the prop. Without a tach reading at wide open throttle we can't tell you what's best. Merc makes a series of four blade pontoon props so check with them but you still need to know current WOT RPM with the current prop to pick the right pitch.

2fs2ns

Cadet

What's the best way for a WOT reading? Put it on muffs and throttle up?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

You must run the boat on the water with a normal load and record the highest RPM's. Throttle it up on the muffs and you'll be getting a new engine sooner than you'd like. 5500 RPMs would be the number to shoot for..

2fs2ns

Cadet

Hehe, good to know! I'm gonna get it out on the water today/tomorrow for the first time...we'll see how it goes.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

So you haven't run the boat yet and have already determined it's under powered! you might be surprised. Pontoons don't go very fast regardless how much power you have. The object is to prop the engine correctly to run at its maximum recommended wide open throttle rpm with an average load. Whatever speed you get is what you get when you have the right prop. Just so you know -- you NEVER - EVER run an engine wide open on muffs. You might be very surprised to learn that you might not be able to shut it off. It's called run-away and it will rev until all of the internal parts try to get out of the engine which obviously makes a big mess. And you can ignore all of the advice here unless you actually have a tach. Without one you don't know how fast the engine is reving.

2fs2ns

Cadet
Same boat here, I get 5500rpm's when it's all running properly :) I get about 16mph or so with just me in the boat. Funny thing is though my buddy's newer 75hp toon only gets a few more mph than I do. Though his a 4 stroke so your ears aren't bleeding...

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Rescued old thread, surelry wrapped in spider web already...

Happy Boating

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
2fs2ns

Welcome back with the update.

It took 9 years to water test? LOL What prop did you end up with?