Yamaha 150 prop question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kucobra

Cadet
I have a '89 Yamaha Pro v 150 on a 17' Hydrasports bass boat. Kevlar hull (900 lbs) with jack plate. Has a stainless 3 blade prop on it. The only markings I can find is a "25-M" stamped on hub. The boat is almost instant on the plane and runs aprox 55 mph and will WOT @ about 5700 rpm. The gentleman I bought the boat from gave me a new unused Quicksilver Laser 2 prop marked "25P" . He said he bought for more speed but never got around to using it. Although I haven't verified, it appears to be the same hub configuration and he stated it was for the 150 Yammie. Can anyone tell me what, if any, the advantages of the Laser 2 prop is. It has a more swept back design. I don't think they are made anymore. My current prop has a nick and needs cupping but I was thinking of trying the Laser. thanks
Steve

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 150 prop question

The 25 M is a Yamaha prop and the Laser is a Merc prop. The Laser will work if you use a Merc thrust washer. Both are 25" pitch, the Laser might - might - be a touch faster.

If you're interested in top speed (who isn't?) you might consider looking for a 25 Turbo Lightning. If you don't use a lot of positive (up) trim to carry the bow a Turbo TXP might be a good choice too.

kucobra

Cadet

Thanks man, I didn't know about the thrust washer, Really the Yammie prop is ok, like i said. I'm going to a prop shop to look at the small nick in the prop and I think if they re cup it also it would most likley be as good as the Merc Laser 2. I thought maybe if the Laser was a big improvement I wouldn't spend the money on the other one.
Again, thanks

kucobra

Cadet

I've been to both a Yamaha and Mercury dealer, neither one knew which thrust washer to use to put my Laser 2 on my 150H pro v yammie, .anybody got a part number? I really need to get my yamaha prop recupped and local shop is way behind so I need to use the laser 2 if I can for awhile, Hate 2 buy another prop............
Yamaha prop:7321R 25M
Laser 2 prop:AE 48 16550 25P
'88 Hydrasports 17'6" Kevlar hull Bass boat.
Also this boat came (from dealer new) with a jackplate that is setback 10" and raised 5", I always thought this was kinda of overkill for this boat, You have to really trim it up to keep it up on the pad and it has always run a fine line between running on the pad at WOT and prop caviation. Most people I know with midsize bass rigs and running 150 to 175 hp don't even have jackplates and if they do its maybe a 4" setback, Anythoughts?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Try your Yamaha thrust washer and see how it works. If the spacing isn't right just get a thrust washer for a Merc V6.

Since you have to use a lot of positive trim it's obvious the boat needs help to carry the bow. That's probably why it has a 10" setback. There are other props that have more bow lift than either of the 2 props you have. A Turbo Lightning would be a good choice, they have lots of bow lift.

clevecan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So yall are saying that a Quicksliver Laser II prop Model #48-16996-26 will fit a Yamaha 150 Pro V outboard?

Captmoab

Recruit
I have a 1988 Ebb tide fish and ski with a 150 pro V Yamaha 2 stroke. The lower end was bad and have a replacement but it's left hand turn. I need a prop recommendation. There is a stainless prop on it with the making 798A stamped on it. Not sure what that means. I need to know what size and pitch to look for. I believe a 14.5 x 26 is recommended.
Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have a 1988 Ebb tide fish and ski with a 150 pro V Yamaha 2 stroke. The lower end was bad and have a replacement but it's left hand turn. I need a prop recommendation. There is a stainless prop on it with the making 798A stamped on it. Not sure what that means. I need to know what size and pitch to look for. I believe a 14.5 x 26 is recommended.
Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

From March 2008 - Only 8 years old. If you really want help start a new thread because members seldom look at old threads. The Prop Questions and Topics would be the best area to start your new thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.