prop choice for evinrude XP-150

Re: prop choice for evinrude XP-150

Hey Guys,
I'm back again....well I decarbed her on wed. took her to the river on Sat.
and she ran great...powerpack was it!!! now another question, how much (generally) RPM gain do you get with a decarb? I gained 500-600 RPM and she does'nt smoke near as much as she was.... I know, I still need to get that new prop....BUT NOW i'm wondering if I should go with a 22-23 pitch since she is running any where from 5200-5300 RPM @ WOT with the decarb... I just can't believe I gained that many RPM's with a simple decarb WOW....does that sound right? thanks again for all your knowledge guys....

muchco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: prop choice for evinrude XP-150

Good to hear that you have the engine problems worked out. As for the prop if you have to buy one you would be better to error on the low side than the high side,or you are right back at were you are now but with two props that leave you over propped. My suggestion is that you still look in the 20 - 22 pitch range. You would be better off to bounce it on the rev limiter at 5800 rpm than running it 5400 or 5500 rpm. Good Luck.

pcasteel

Recruit
I have an 89 150 xp on 89 stratos 275 pro xl i get 63 out of mine with original raker 24 at 5300 rpm but mine has a high output cdi box how ever if ur skiing wih it i would not put anything thing pitch wise bigger than a 22 everyone says raker runs the best on johnson or evinrude but all the motors arent on the same boats its all in what ur set up to do the weight of ur boat so on i use mine for tournaments and sport fishing so i like a little more top end all jokes aside i get some chime walk with the speed i have a 24 renegade bass 4 blade i use when im just out playing no chime walk quick to plane but does slow you down a bit

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
First of all welcome . While I know your trying to help out; your opening a long dead thread. August 2007.
This is frowned on.Although you could try a private message.Click on his user name.
Probably pretty unlikely you will get results.
Hang around and throw in your 2 cents worth and feel free to ask any questions.
There is a lot of experience on here. I had my first boat when I was 6 in 1949.

pcasteel

Recruit
First of all welcome . While I know your trying to help out; your opening a long dead thread. August 2007.
This is frowned on.Although you could try a private message.Click on his user name.
Probably pretty unlikely you will get results.
Hang around and throw in your 2 cents worth and feel free to ask any questions.
There is a lot of experience on here. I had my first boat when I was 6 in 1949.

I am sry i am having a hard time trying to figure out how this forum works i cannot find how to post something myself to get input thank you i will do so. Have a great day

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

To start a new topic, click +New Topic at the top of any forum, This is for the Prop forum;

newtopic.PNG