Quicksilver Power 2 shifting Prop for a 3.0 . . Is this for real?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rondi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On my quest to find the "perfect" prop for the 3.0L 135HP Merc / Alpha, I ran across this. I have read many times that there is no free lunch and to get more low we need to sacrifice high, but I have never before seen this prop discussed or evaluated.
Has anyone ever heard of a prop with gears? This is a new one for me. It almost sounds too good to be true. Great pulling power with a 15 pitch then it shifts to a 21 pitch for speed and to keep from over-revving.
Could be the hot ticket for our little 135hp drives that need the grunt to pull up heavy skiers.
Please tell me if anyone has any experience with this prop.

http://fargo.craigslist.org/boa/367756707.html

010202010304010409200707065c5c04ce5db3302371002ec5.jpg

tommays

Admiral
Re: Quicksilver Power 2 shifting Prop for a 3.0 . . Is this for real?

It came and is LONG gone other than the few on E-BAY

To complex for most folks and to easy to damage when used a depth finder

Tommays

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..........

I'm running a Torque-Shift prop by Land & Sea.......

It starts out at 11",+ upshifts to Wherever I set it, from about 20" to 26".........
My little 4.3LX pulls it at abour 20".......Maybe alittle more.....

quadridermx

Cadet

I have this exact prop. The power2 on a 19.5 ft. rinker captiva with the 4.3lx.

Here's what I found...

Genius design. It works very well. There is a spring inside the prop providing tension on weights that are attatched to the prop blades. The weights are pulled to the center of the prop, designed to keep it at a low pitch. When centrifugal force overcomes the spring force, the weights inside the prop suddenly move toward the outside of the prop, changing the pitch of the blades.

The prop I have is set up to start at 13 pitch I believe, with a final pitch of 21 with this set of blades. The problem Im running into is that the 13 pitch does not have quite enough pitch to get the boat actually on plane. The prop is shifting to the 21 pitch before it is on plane, which is too high a pitch for my (heavier than yours) setup. It then takes a little while longer to get on plane. For me, a perfect setup would be a prop that shifts from 15 to 19 pitch, and I'm currently researching what's out there.

But yes, the power2 DOES work well. Even for my setup, it's still pretty good. For your boat, being less weight (I assume) with the 3.0, I think you'd be very happy with it. The low pitch would be able to get it up to speed enough to get it completely on plane. If you're interested in buying one, I have one that's almost brand new. Let me know. I'd like to try out a different shift prop that doesnt have such a low pitch initial blade.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.......... That's the Difference,+ What I see as the Design Flaw in the Merc. Shifting Prop........

You get 2 pitches,+ only 1 Shift........

With the Torque-Shift,.....
It starts out at 11",+ Progressively upshifts to the power being produced by the motor,.........

For a Flat Out, Drop the Throttle launch,....... My motor Jumps to 4800rpms,+ Stays there.......I'm on plane is Seconds,.....You don't hear or feel it shift,..... But you Know it has, because your doing something over 40mph in No Time........
The Boat will Jump right out from under your Feet, if you're not Hanging On.......

Unfortunately,....... For the topic being discussed in this thread,.... It's kinda Irrevelant,......
The 4.3l,+ a 4bbl. is about the Smallest motor the Torque-Shift will work on.......
The 3.0l just Doesn't have the power to make it Work..............

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Torque-shift prop

Re: Torque-shift prop

OK,........ I stand Corrected......

Now the only Problem with the Torque-Shift Props is,.........

They're Out of Production,+ the only 1s available are the Used market.......

rondi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I called Land and Sea to check on the TorqueShift and yep, they quit making all marine products a few years ago.
I assume the technology was there for "shifting" props yet the comsumer found it too difficult to tune them in and there were more complaints than praises for these high end props. Too bad.

Maybe I'll check into an Enertia for a 3.0. There's gotta be something better than the stock Black Max for holeshot and top-end.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, what was the consensus for the best SS 3.0 merc/alpha prop?

tommays

Admiral

I can take a picture of my 17" , 19" and 20" 4 blade if you like

But with a 135 HP it depends on what your doing

I am going out with the wife today and the 14 X 20 4 blade is perfect:D

NOW if i want to take my TWO 6'5" BILS wakeboarding it really does not work out to well:mad:

But the 17" does a fabulous job on those days :D

You may not like the reality of it BUT even with a bigger motor you main fully loaded use is going to be a big factor in the correct prop

Tommays

trevork

Recruit

I have one of these props in my garage, but no instructions on installing it or setting it up. Can anyone help me? I have heard that it is tricky to setup. PLEASE HELP!! I REALLY WANT TO TRY THIS PROP ON MY BOAT!!
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.