Pitch Change w 2.2 Gear Ratio

pjrogers

Seaman Apprentice
I've posted before that the 2001 6.2L MPI in our 23' 4,200 lbs. (dry) bowrider hits its rev limiter at 4,800 and 45 mph (gps). The throttle is not completely wide open at those RPMs. The outdrive is a Bravo 3 with 26" Bravo III props. I figure the gear ratio is 2.2:1 b/c with our data plugged into www.go-fast.com/Prop_Slip_Calculator.htm, the slip comes out to a reasonable 17%. If I put a ratio of 2:1 in the calculator the slip works out to an unreasonable 24%.

Anyway, at $1,500 CDN a pair, I'm not going to be buying several sets of props to try to find the proper pitch for this thing.

My question is whether, given a gear ratio of 2.2:1, would going from a 26" to a 30" pair likely be too large a jump? Normally, with a boat with, say, an Alpha leg and a lower gear ratio, you wouldn't want to jump more than 2"; is the consideration different when your gear ratio is relatively high?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pitch Change w 2.2 Gear Ratio

Like everyone says, depends.

Here's what I did. I bought a boat with a 2.3 gearbox.....boat was 17' alum and engine was 90 hp. The first time out, punching out of the hole, rpm's went out of sight..I think the tach said 7500 before I shut her down...can't believe that the previous owner ran this thing for 2 years. Prop was a 17P Ballistic SS which would have been pretty good if the gearbox was 2:1 or less.

I used the BAM calculator and figured a 21P Ballistic would be just the thing. Bought one of those and it brought my WOT rpms down to 6500. Still too high. Course what I didn't consider was that as I increased pitch, hence loading the engine better, I went faster hence less of the boat was in the water (having a padded hull assisted in this) requiring less power to push it so my rpm's didn't drop proportionally.

Bought a 24P Ballistic and brought rpms down to 5600. Since the engine is rated for 5500 max, I was happy with this number and happy with the speed I got out of it.

So, for me it took 7" to get it right, but it was horribly wrong in the first place and the boats performance modified the anticipated results.

HTH

Mark