Mercury Vengeance vs Michigan Wheel Ballistic

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey All,<br /><br />Right now I have a 18P Mercury Vengeance Prop on my 115HP Mercury 4-Stoke.<br /><br />The Boat/Motor came with a 19P BlackMax Prop, I upgreaded to an 18P which was a huge improvement with a light load, but with a full load 4-5 people, the performance is still lacking. I am only able to get about 5200RPM's and Redline is 6000.<br /><br />My next step is to go to a 17 pitch. I have a choice of a Mercury Vengeance 17p, or a Michigan Wheel 17P Ballistic prop.<br /><br />The dealer says the Ballistic prop is lighter and has more rake, which he says will give better bow lift while on plane, he suggested that prop.<br /><br />What are you guy's thought's and opinions?<br /><br />This is a 17' 3" Deep V aluminum All-Welded Fish & Ski Boat. 90% of the time there will be 3-5 people in the boat, the other 10% of the time will be just 2 people.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />-TheChad

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Mercury Vengeance vs Michigan Wheel Ballistic

Chad, I'm going to refrain from posting a suggestion on this, because I've had zero luck with the Ballistic in my applications, and the Vengeance is just the entry level SS prop for Merc. I think it would be best for someone else to offer unbiased suggestions for you...Good Luck!

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'd shun the Ballistic myself. It was the first SS prop I tried, before I knew any better, and it spun out very easily.<br /><br />I've also found that the Vengeance does not behave very differently from the Black Max (in the same pitch), so it is not much of an upgrade performance-wise.<br /><br />The fastest props I've tried so far are the three-blade versions of the Stiletto and the Turbo. Walleyehed and Dhadley can tell you lots more about these and may be able to point you to a good deal.

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

walleyehed: On Tuesday, I am going to pick up a 17p Aluminum prop to try out from the dealer. If the 17p puts me where I need to be RPM/Holeshot/Speed, Then I have to make the Brand/model Decision..<br /><br />The Dealer can order me any Michigan Wheeel or Mercury Prop I am sure, Those were just to two we discussed.<br /><br />I don't have enough experience with props to know the difference...<br /><br />I don't have alot more money to spend, The dealer was going to trade me straight up for the different pitch Vengeance, or Ballistic.<br /><br />I can inquire on a different model if you have any suggestions!?<br /><br />Right now my biggest problem is that I need to get the Engine running at the right RPM, and hopefully not drop below 40MPH. (Faster would be nice).<br /><br />If the 17P prop gets me close to where I need to be, I will try having the engine raised on the transom. Right now the cavitation plate is level with the bottom of the boat when the engine is at 1/4 trim (Level).<br /><br />The dealer I am having do the warentee work on my trolling motor said he is worried that if he raises the engine it might blow out in a hard turn when doing things like tubing/skiing.<br /><br />Its soo hard to know what to do, but 1 thing everyone agree's on is that I need to get this engine to 5700-6000 RPM above all else.<br /><br />-TheChad

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You may not have to go down in pitch at all. Try raising the engine some first (and the good folks here can walk you through why & how & how much). Then you can choose if you want to spend the money on a faster prop.

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah we discussed it already in another thread..<br /><br />I don't know why but no matter what dealer I take the boat to, they all shun the idea of raising the motor. They have all told me that the motor sits right where it should, with the cavitation plate even with the bottom of the boat with the engine trimmed flat.<br /><br />All the dealers have expressed concerns with Cavitation, Porpusing, and getting the boat on plane if we raise the engine.<br /><br />But all the dealers have agreed the engine needs to get as close as possible to the 6000 RPM limit.<br /><br />90% of the time we have 3-5 people in the boat, with the normal amount being 4. 10% of the time we have 2 people in the boat. With 2 people in the boat and the 18P prop, the boat runs like a rocket, but still doesn't reach the prefered 6000RPM.. <br /><br />Once we load the boat up with 3-5 people, it has a very hard time getting on plane, and at WOT is still only at the lower end of 5000 RPM.<br /><br />So with the boat loaded down, I need to pick up about 800 RPM.<br /><br />-TheChad

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

You told us you were overpropped (too much pitch.....everything else constant) when you said that your light load won't reach 6000. <br /><br />I think I'd agree with your dealers on not lifting the engine for what you want to use your boat for....might have blowout problems coming up on plane or in rough water. 3-5 people in a 17'boat is a load where I come from.<br /><br />I'm running my 3rd Ballistic and it is on a very light boat and I usually fish (play) alone. It works very well for me. Not that others wouldn't do better; I have no way of knowing without testing and I have spent enough for props. I am currently very satisfied and that's what matters.<br /><br />The only way you'll know for sure is to try different props. Trying to get the right one the first time is just hit and miss. A (your) dealer may be sympathetic and loan you some to try.<br /><br />Mark

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Boat is rated for 6 people. 3-4 people Fits nicely in the boat. Which is our typical load. Rearly we will have 5.<br /><br />We are going to go try out a 17 Pitch prop on Monday.<br /><br />What do you guys think of a HydroFoil? A couple of the dealers have suggested it, My only thought is I don't like having to drill the cavitation plate, and They are kind of ugly.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />-TheChad

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Lotta folks like smart tabs that attach to the boat's transom. Mixed responses on the things (several mfgrs) that clamp to the anticavitation (antiventilation) plate. Some like them, some have removed them and were looking for something to plug the holes in their plates.<br /><br />My 2c<br /><br />Mark

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Check my last comment to your other post on this subject....Vengeance = Black Max.<br /><br />Mark

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Vengeance does get more byte than a Black Max though...

walleyehed

Admiral

Please, keep in mind the Vengeance is just an entry-level SS prop...nothing fancy, and not much more (if any) cup than the B. Max..the difference is in the thinner blades being just a tad more efficient-doesn't mean it has more cup..the Vengeance wasn't designed for extreme bite..it's a general use, replacement prop that is more durable than aluminum.<br />You want bite, put a Tempest on it....your set-up doen't need (or can it use) that much technology without some setback/jackplate, but I don't believe the vengeance is the answer either...

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Walleyehed: I have to ask, What Prop do you think would be right for mysetup? I know which ones you Don't think are right..<br /><br />But I haven't heard what you think is right?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />-TheChad

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

i not a prop expert if you buy a good quality ss prop that prop will not blow out when your turning.i have a bass boat with a turbo prop i wish i could get to slip a little bit its really gets a hold of the water.even with the jack plate raised up.my boat is a 1998 triton 17 foot bass boat 120 force motor with a turbo 23 pitch ss.i wish the prop was a 22 pitch.i could use a little more rpm's. my max rpm is 5300.

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found out why I thought the Vengance Prop had more bite than the Black max.<br /><br />The prop that I *thought* was a black max prop that came with my boat/engine, was actually a quicksilver prop.<br /><br />So the Vengance prop did have more byte than the quicksilver aluminum prop. However the 17p Black Max prop that a local dealer let me try, had the same bite as the vengance.<br /><br />So I agree the Vengance prop and Black Max prop are virtually the same other than material. But is that totally a bad thing?<br /><br />One thing I know for sure is that the Quicksilver aluminum prop's are junk. They blow out real easy.<br /><br /><br />P.S. I had my engine raised today, and I didn't pick up much for RPM or top speed, but I definitly noticed a difference in holeshot. It always felt like we were dragging an anchor before, now the back end feels alot lighter, The holeshot with 2 people was quicker, which I think is because the rpm's seem to rev up faster from Idle to full throttle.<br /><br />I didn't have much time today (1/2 hour), but tomarrow (Thursday), I will be going back to the water with 4 people and will give it a run for the money.<br /><br />-TheChad

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

After running the boat with the engine raised to up one hole (Center hole).<br /><br />I have found that When doing activities like tubing, If i turn too tight, the prop will blow out. <br /><br />Mind you That isn't untill I am almost turning full in one direction at a 20-30mph speed.<br /><br />Is that blow out curable with a prop that maybe has better bite? or is that just how its going to be with the engine sitting higher up like that?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />-TheChad

walleyehed

Admiral

That's still not high enough if you have to turn that far to make it vent.<br />A better prop may help some of that, but it would have to be raised more to utilize the technology of that prop. A proper set-up WILL vent in some situations, but then again, you're using the boat for multi-purposes.