Sting ray Stabilizer / Prop idea's???

Justaboatin

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 18ft Jon boat about 5 ft wide with a 25HP mercury tiller handle 13P prop<br />15 Inch transom, 15 inch shaft motor. Unless I have the motor complete trimmed in (lower unit all the way in / top out) I have very bad prop ventilation / blow out. However when I do have the motor trimmed all the way in the boat runs great at 25MPH. The prop has a few “dings” in it (could be replaced?) I am thinking I can could get better performance if I was able to trim out the boat a little more. Here are my questions.<br /><br />Would a stingray stabilizer help the ventilation?<br />Also the stingray comes in a Jr for up to 25HP and a senior 25HP and over… So would it better to go with the Jr or Sr?<br /><br />Or should I try replacing the prop first?<br /><br />Thanks in advance<br />Scott

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sting ray Stabilizer / Prop idea's???

Is it an aluminum prop without much cup?

Justaboatin

Seaman Apprentice

It is aluminum; It was on the motor when I purchased it. Little cup (that I can notice)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I'd opt for a ss prop with some more cupping. That may allow you to play with the height some.

Justaboatin

Seaman Apprentice

I was looking at the SS props, But I didn't know if I would gain much over a aluminum (on a fishing boat)for the price? Or would a SS fix the issue and increase performance?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I think a decent ss prop will be of great help. Whats the diameter and spline count?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Since this is an 18 foot boat, does it require a short or long shaft motor? If you have a short shaft motor on a 20-iinch transom that would answer the ventilation problem.

Justaboatin

Seaman Apprentice

It is a 15 inch transom and motor (as said above)<br /><br />It is 10 1/8 Diam, with a 10 tooth spline

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Well, I was hoping I had something you could try but I dont have anything with a 10 tooth spline.