Yamaha performance 3 vs Yamaha painted stainless steel prop

shady800x

Recruit
Can anyone describe the differences between the two props? I have searched the forums, tried googling. The only differences that I found is that the painted SS is painted, has a slightly different blade shape. The performance 3 is highly polished as described on the Yamaha website. I am wanting to purchase one or the other. They are spendy props but I'm wanting to get the most out of my outboard motor. I do currently have a solas new Saturn but the rpms are a tad bit too low.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Without part #s and/or prop model, your description is like Chief Wiggam broadcasting an APB... "Be on the lookout for a guy, driving a Car of some sort, heading in the direction of that place that sells Chili. The suspect is Hatless, I repeat Hatless"...

shady800x

Recruit
Sorry, thanks for the laugh. Say a Yamaha performance 3 10.5 x 13p MAR-GYT3B-03-13 and the painted stainless steel 10 5/8 x 13p 663-45974-02-00.

Last edited:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
couple of things.
in my experience with standard Yamaha props (on v4 and V6 2 strokes at least)...they are excellent props and always cut for performance. There’s a little more to be gained by sticking a good merc prop stainless on them but not as much as usually gained.
But the other thing is...taking a guess at your given prop details...it’s likely not much of a performance set up you have....meaning it doesn’t really matter too much anyway. Any gains by putting a fancy prop on at these levels isn’t worth bothering about too much...saying this with the greatest of respect obviously

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Oh and it would also be very unlikely that any solas prop would see any gains over a well suited Yamaha oem prop...of any type. Solas props in my opinion are a waste of time. Anyone who thinks they are great...obviously hasn’t tried a good merc prop.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Most people will never experience a Higher End Merc Prop, they just aren't will to spend the $$$, or they are really Dense when it comes understanding the differences