Raker Prop Question - Hub Stampings

bgiles

Cadet
Hi there, I just picked up a used Raker prop 13.5 x 24, when I compare it to my other Raker 13.5 x 22 I notice a few differences.<br /><br />My question is with respect to 2 sets of numbers stamped on the outside of the hub. More specifically 14546 and 12271, I'm thinking this indicates perhaps some "reworking" of sorts. An obvious change is that the vent holes are approx 1/2 inch in diameter, no problem with that, probably get better hole shot.<br /><br />The prop is in excellent condition with no signs of rework or modification and has the legitimate part number stamped on the inside where it should be and "Raker" on the outside of the Hub.<br /><br />Just wondering ???, maybe the older Raker's came like that. My 13.5 x 22 is from the early 90's so maybe the 13.5 x 24 is a little older or newer<br /><br /><br />Thanks in Advance<br /><br />Bruce

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Raker Prop Question - Hub Stampings

Is "Raker" cast into the side or is it stamped????<br />1/2" holes are pretty good size for that prop....not std either.

bgiles

Cadet

Hi Kenny, "Raker" and the 2 sets of numbers are casted into the Hub. As I say, when comparing the 2 props in how they are made, they are identical in construction. I doubt it's a "knock off" sort of speak, but I suppose you never know.<br /><br /><br />Bruce

walleyehed

Admiral

If the name is cast into the hub (molded), it is the newest design, If the name is stamped into the metal, it is the old(better in my mind) style.The name is actually stamped with letter punches in the old ones, not cast in during the molding process.

bgiles

Cadet

Hi Kenny, thanks for the info, it's definetly not the newer style, as you said, the name raker on those is definetly casted in from the get go and is much larger in size.<br /><br />When you mention about the "letter punches", that's how both of mine are for sure, my concern was about the 2 sets of numbers that have been "punched " in as well.<br /><br />My interpretation of casted was a tad different than yours, I didn't want to suggest that it looked as if some one had used some sort of "Dremel" or similar tool to scribe the name and numbers.<br /><br />I apologize for the confusion<br /><br />I'll call Evinrude and see if someone is available to perhaps indicate if the numbers came from the factory or not, it may indicate some sort of "recall' or something.<br /><br /><br />Thanks Again<br /><br /><br />Bruce

walleyehed

Admiral

Chances are, those numbers are refference numbers from a prop-shop. I've got 2 Rakers at my feet here, and niether one has any other numbers, Just "Raker". I had some cup added to my 20 and it doesn't have any numbers stamped into it....Hummmmmm....usually he does.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I think you are simply looking at a prop that has been reworked. The part number is correct, so what else is there? I have a 24" Raker that has been hammered on more than once. Although the lettering is still correct for what it used to be.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm guessing that the prop has been reworked as well. It's common for a repair shop to stamp numbers on the hub to identify the prop and to make sure it gets back to the owner. Also, a good prop refurbishing job should be unnoticable, as if it came out of the box new.

bgiles

Cadet

Thanks Guys for the feedback, now it's time to go and "play". Let's see what this increase in pitch will do for me.<br /><br /><br />Take Care<br /><br />Bruce

bruce40

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Guys,
I bought a new raker 13.5x18 (763953) on ebay. The part number stamped in the hub is correct but ther is no markings on the outside of the hub. All the rakers i have seen have "RAKER" or "RAKER II" stamped on the hub in big bold letters, this one has nothing. It looks like the factory BRP box. Im wondering if i got some cheap nock-off prop instead of the real deal.
Any one have a raker or seen one without the markings on the outside of the hub?
Thanks, Bruce

walleyehed

Admiral

WOW!!!! a 4 yr old post renewed...
My 14.5X18 Gen II Raker has no Stamping, but that's OMC... I believe the BRP Rakers all had "that" name molded in.
If it has the correct P/N molded into the hub, thats all ya need.

bruce40

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Admiral Walleyhed,
Just wanted to be sure.
Cant wait til spring to try out the new raker!

Tight Lines,
Bruce

walleyehed

Admiral

Anytime...
Post back when you get to try it out!