Skeeter 175D/Mariner 175 setup

Blackhawk431

Recruit
Hello

I have some questions reguarding the proper setup to get speed out of my bass boat

I own a 1987 Skeeter Starfire 175D with a 1987 mariner 175hp and has a 6" powerlift jackplate. I was told this was one of skeeters fastest hulls made. My dad passed away and hes always ran a 23p quicksilver on the boat and got mid 60s gps. Its sat for 5 years until i restored it few months ago.

All the lakes i run on are around 2,600 ft altitude here in idaho. I run with 30 lbs of tackle in the bow and converted to 36v trolling motor with 4 batteries leveled (two in middle, one on each side) in the rear

Ive tested two different props and this is where im at...

I didnt touch a thing as in jackplate or prop and ran it at 3" below pad. I got 53 mph @ 5800 rpms and prop slipped a few times on holeshot, but it was a quick holeshot. Rooster tail was at the top of cowling. I could tell i was not getting enough bow lift since i was spraying under the consoles. The boat got on plane and jus felt like it was running hard but not really going anywhere.

2nd test is i set it at 2 1/2 below pad and ran a 24P tempest i borrowed. I got 61 mph @ 5100 rpms with no rooster tail. I bumped up to 2" below pad and got 64mph @ 5300 rpms with a rooster tail middle of the cowling. I got some bow lift but i was then spraying from under the seats.

Ive been told to run a 25 yamaha M because they are know to lift the bow of a bass boat. But then i was told the 25p was to much prop for my altitude to get me to 5600-5800 rpms on top of adding some cup to get my bow up. But then i was told about to much prop for my altitude and to stick wih a 23P yamaha M and add cup to get the bow up. So now im confused. Lol

Now should i stick with a Yamaha M prop? Go tempest? Another prop? Should i run an 23, 24, or 25 pitch? Which would better to have someone work by either adding cup or or working to my specs? Do i continue to raise the engine with the 24p tempest?

Im trying to get the right prop and get it sent off to get worked on before my upcoming tournaments.

Thanks guy!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
If all you do is fish try a 24P big ear chopper or a cut down version of it. You want rooster tail to be about knee to waist high when full trimmed and WOT.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
That should be a chrome bore 2.4 with vertical reeds(similar to Xr4)and need to run it right at 6000