5.7L with 1.62 gears, looking for advice

Dcmphee

Cadet
If everything is setup correctly this would be a perfect situation.

The 1.47 ratio should turn a lower pitch prop faster then a 1.62 turning one with a higher pitch. I don't remember what you ratio was so unable to check slip numbers. The high 5 has good acceleration but in a heavier boat usually looses top end due to lift and reduced diameter.

We could go further into this if OP is acceptable, but other wise I think it would be best to start another thread because this does not directly impact his question

I don?t mind digging further into this! It is all good learning for me.

Dcmphee

Cadet
Mercruiser started using vortec heads almost immediately after gm made the switch on their trucks which was in ?96. It?s possible your engine could have been leftover inventory from ?95 but I doubt it since your boat was a high production model. It?s pretty easy to determine if you?ve got vortec heads. Just look at the bolt pattern on the intake manifold. Vortec engines have two bolts at each corner of the manifold to secure it. None near the middle. It?s important to be certain because yours was made during a transitional period. It seems strange because I thought all 5.7s had 4 barrel carbs. The 5.0 was usually rated around 200-210, and the 4.3 vortec was rated 190 or 225. It also seems odd that your boat would have even been available with that little power as either an option or as standard. Then again, in theory mine had engine choices ranging from the 3.0-5.0. I?ve yet to see on with other than the 4.3.

I am certain I don’t have Vortec heads. I was surprised too once I started researching after I bought the boat. I have read about a few people that have the same motor set up with the 2 barrel in this year range, and also actually spoke with someone with the same boat that did the swap. All said they run out of steam around the same RPM. I got a good deal on an intake already, so now I have to buy a carb. Will be interesting to see if I have roller cam as it seems to be a crap shoot for this year range.

I suspect my engine combo was the base option for my boat during this period.

Last edited:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi AD, my boat has a 1.47 ratio for sure and currently has a 19? on it. Last time I checked, the slip was 2 or 3 (not bad).
Yeah I warned him against he hi 5 on that boat. Total waste of time. Slowed it down by a good few mph and likely uses more fuel when he is pottering about.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Ok. So I just did a prop slip calculation from a picture I have of her cruising. It tells me it?s 6%slip. I?m pretty sure it is less at higher speeds. Still not bad though.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
I am certain I don’t have Vortec heads. I was surprised too once I started researching after I bought the boat. I have read about a few people that have the same motor set up with the 2 barrel in this year range, and also actually spoke with someone with the same boat that did the swap. All said they run out of steam around the same RPM. I got a good deal on an intake already, so now I have to buy a carb. Will be interesting to see if I have roller cam as it seems to be a crap shoot for this year range.

I suspect my engine combo was the base option for my boat during this period.

Then you likely have the high swirl heads they used on TBI trucks for several years. I?ve got them on my truck. They?re reliable, and tolerable for towing, but performance oriented they are not. The redline on my truck is about 4600, but it turns orange at 4K. There?s really no power past 4K. I?m not sure what intake you?ve got on the shelf, but there is a carb shop down in Largo, Florida that sells rebuilt carbs for all types of vehicles. They have a large list of mercruiser carbs. They?re not edelbrock or holleys, but they don?t cost $600 either. With the quadrajet, your engine should have made 260HP. Then again, after the swap to vortec heads and roller cam, the first few years they still said it produced 260HP. One may have been measured at the crank and one at the prop shaft.

What makes no sense to me is why mercruiser would have built your engine in the first place? And the boat builder would have thought it was a good idea to install.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Why is there only 10hp difference between the 5.7 2 barrel and 4 barrel ? You?d imagine there would be more ? Hardly seems worthwhile !

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
The normal 5.7 carb, I refer to. Where one is 250hp and the other 260. Weird. I think the 4.3 manages more hp between the 2 and 4 barrel.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
You could ask why mercruiser used the high swirl head engine and claimed 260hp while Chevrolet pickups with fuel injection (granted it was tbi) only made 200? When they switched from high swirl to vortec the trucks picked up 60hp (and a better FI system), but mercruiser only claimed a 10-15 hp increase? Trucks and boats both got roller cams with the switch to vortec as well. They went from the worst performing small block heads ever made, to some of the best and yet no noticeable power gain. I?ve driven both the tbi trucks and the vortecs. There?s a huge difference.

A lot of the discrepancies in outputs are due to hp ratings. When many of these engines were first made, the were measured under the SAE Gross standard. The standard was updated in the 80s to SAE net.

If you look at the gmpp catalog, their cheapest old school 2-piece rear main small block is purported to make 300 hp with little more than a 600 or 750cfm carb. This is a late 70s, early 80s engine after everything was neutered for unleaded gas. I had a 78 Chevy truck with this engine that was factory rated at 265hp. Ain?t no way that thing was making that. We sold that truck in ?96 with less than 100k miles on the clock. The engine was good and tight. 265hp was a pipe dream.

We all know the marine industry lags years behind the car industry. I imagine many of the hp numbers are arbitrarily pulled from the arses of marketing and engineering departments to appease insurance companies and boat builders.

The vortec 4.3 2-barrel makes 190, and the 4 barrel makes 220-225. Ironically, vortec 5.7 uses the same carbs as the 4.3 albeit with different calibration kits.