Replacement prop for pontoon boat

NYBo

Admiral
Since I managed to "explore" the lake bed a little when pulling out my boat for the season, I figured I would buy a new prop and use the original as a spare (after getting it repaired, of course). The current prop, a 9" pitch, got me to about 5400 RPM and 18 MPH, both of which seem reasonable. My question is, of the lines iBOATS carries, which makes the most sense for a 'toon? Three blade or four? Boat is in my signature.

http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Me...9.00&chart=52&engine_id=264&cart_id=772550846

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Info needed

What's the max wot rpm range for that motor
Does the motor has a correct HP to power that size toon or it is underpowered
How loaded do you usually go boating with
Assume that toon only achieves fast displacement speed, right

Happy Boating

NYBo

Admiral
From what I can find, max RPM for the motor is 5500, so I'm close. Boat is rated for 50HP, so 40 is in the ballpark. There is usually a load of about 450 pounds.

ahicks

Captain
With a boat and motor combo like this, there's really little to be gained by going 4 blade, making any extra expense hard to justify.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
With a boat and motor combo like this, there's really little to be gained by going 4 blade, making any extra expense hard to justify.

+1....... this makes sense... your going to lose top end going to a 4 blade.. many other advantages for sure..... that said.. Toon's dont have much top end anyway.. short of 3 logs and a big motor....I'd keep the 3 blade in there

NYBo

Admiral
Thanks, guys. You confirmed my suspicions about 4-blade props. But back to my other question: which of the several models of props iBOATS sells makes the most sense? I've read that large blades are best, but I can't tell from the listings exactly what the blades look like. Only the Solas Amita and Solas New Saturn mention pontoons in the description. (Doubt I want the latter as I can't see any great advantage to SS). Or are there other props I should consider?

ahicks

Captain
Pontoon specific prop would likely have more blade area, which might give you an extra degree of control at low speeds, like maneuvering around docks or loading/unloading on trailer, but again it's not something you're very likely to notice with or without. I'd put an inexpensive prop on it and call it good.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If toon rides usualy loaded with 450 lbs and achieves 5400 wot rpm, just 100 rpm less from max wot range, buy a new same current diam pitch prop. Could dial a 4 blade prop for OB to run at its max wot rpm range, but as stated above will be money thrown straight into the deep blue. That 40 HP has already a maximized prop for that slight under powered OB.

Happy Boating

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mercury/Quicksilver makes an aluminum 4 bladed prop specifically for pontoons—. I run one on my 25 footer with a Yamaha F70. It?s called a Nemises. They work really well.

They have separate hub kits that you buy to fit your motor—?the prop runs about $112–?115 and the hub kit runs about $25. Both are available thru the iBoats store.

I’?ve run numerious props on my pontoons over the past 25 years and this 4 blade is the best overall one I’?ve found. And at $112, one of the cheapest to replace if I hit something.

There are numerious reviews of the Nemesis prop online—?before I initially bought one I read a lot of them—?they get good reviews from folks who?’ve used them.

Here?s a link to them?

http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Qui...is-Propellers/

Mercury?s website describes it as their best prop for pontoons?-

http://legacy.qsprops.com/aluminum/nemesis/

Last edited:

ahicks

Captain
I struggle buying something because somebody else does - unless there's some justification that can be verified. Otherwise the decision seems based purely on subjective terms. Not knocking your call jetboater, not at all. I'm just saying things like "smoother" and "better" don't sit well as part of MY buying decision.

Many times you hear about a miraculous product that makes you go faster, only to find out it doesn't really, it's just louder, leaving you with the IMPRESSION you're going faster! The 4 blade props, on applications similar to this one, seem to be in that category. When you get up into the 90 and 115hp toons that are used to pull skiers and tubes, those MIGHT be a different story, but I haven't been able to verify that either....

Now if you told me you found your boat would stay on plane down to 12mph vs. the 14mph you experienced using a 3 blade, THAT'S the kind of stuff that can easily be justified and would sell me on the 3 vs. 4 blade call in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I haven't seen or found such a claim yet.....

I do have an open mind on the topic, and an active interest in getting the most bang I can from my boat, so I keep reading...

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Appreciate your comments—?in fact, everyone?s replies to this post are ?subjective?.

The OP asked for opinions on propellers and that?s what he?’s getting.

I?’m sharing my experience based on my 47 years of boating and my 25 years of pontoon boat ownership just as others have posted their opinions and experience in the earlier posts.

Just my opinion. But it?s based on actual pontoon boat ownership and actual use of both 3 and 4 blade props on them.

Wonder if all the replies here are based on use and ownership or just what ?someone heard??

My opinion may not be worth anymore than any others though? it?s up to the OP to decide which way to go. There?s no ?right or wrong? here.

I went with this prop initially based on others ?opinions? and the manufacturer (Mercury) stating it was their best prop for pontoons. On my previous pontoon, after trying a number of different props, I chose a 4 blade stainless —? that one had a 115 Honda on it. When I bought my current pontoon, I didn?t need a 115 as my kids are now grown and I?m not pulling anyone with is so I went with a 70. I tried 5 different props before I picked the Nemisis.

It is very subjective but I?’ve been very happy with it -others may not be but that?s just the nature of responses you get on Internet forums...

The OP needs to pick the prop he thinks will be the best for him? —getting what he asked for, opinions and experiences of others, should help him do so.

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
Interesting observations about the Nemesis, jetboater . Unfortunately, they don't appear to make one for my application.

Thanks for all the discussion, guys. I think I will be going with the Solas Amita, 9" pitch.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
OP is already running a maximized niner pitch prop delivering near full wot revs stated for that bit under powered OB assume with a 3 blade prop ? which 4 blade pitch would you recommend to better the current water performance of that toon ?

Personally would go for same diam/pitch prop as already know what to expect, buying a 4 blade one could fall into the costly experimentation category, what if it's a complete bad performer along bad investment ? For that 40 HP to achieve that extra 100 wot revs, don't know if going for a 4 blade prop is worth the money. Re pitching current prop to say 0.5 pitch less will bump max wot revs to 5500 or bit more...

Happy Boating

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good question!

The Nemisis props are available down to a 9 inch pitch but it doesn’t sound like there’?s either a diameter or hub kit that works for him so that’s off the table.

I think if he’?s running a 3 blade 9 inch and he’s happy with the performance that that’s the “safe choice”. You normally would drop down an inch or so going from a 3 blade to a 4 (which I did on my pontoon—?I run a 10 pitch) but on my Chris Craft I actually went up an inch when I went to a 4 blade so it depends on the boat and what you’?re trying to achieve.

It sounds like the 9 is the right pitch for his boat and motor.

He did ask for opinions on other choices so I offered my experience with the Nemisis.

You are right—?anytime you switch propellers, even going from one 3 blade to another of a different brand or type, you are experimenting and it can get expensive if you don’t like it. Most manufacturers offer multiple 3 and 4 blade props with very different attributes and picking one is a bit of a crapshoot. Right now I’?m sitting with 4 “extra” props for my two boats that I’?ve tried and didn’?t like. They’?ve only got a few hours each on them but they’re “used” now and couldn'’t send them back. I keep them as spares as I can use one while the regular prop is repaired or replaced. I figure when I get a new boat I’?m gonna have to try a few props to get the one that’ works best for me so I just bite the bullet and do it.

So, OP, if you like the performance of your existing prop, you may want to consider a new one of the same brand and type. If the brand isn?t marked on the prop, there may be a model number stamped somewhere on it?. I’ve had good luck googling just the model number and coming up with the brand and type.

Good luck!

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
It's a 3-blade Mercury prop. The blades look bigger than other props I've seen, therefore my question about prop models. Pitch is pretty much settled.

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
if its a Mercury Aluminum with a 9 pitch, I believe it’s a Black Max as that’s the only aluminum one they currently list that comes in a 9.

Quicksilver props are made by Mercury and are the exact same props with different names?—the Quicksilver version of the Black Max is the Black Diamond.

It’s listed here on iBoats for $124 which is a bit more than the Solas Amita but if you?’re happy with the performance, may be worth paying a few more bucks to make sure you retain that performance.

I?ve never heard anything bad about Solas props but it might perform differently than the one you have on there now

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
It's hard to tell from the picture, but the blades don't seem to be the same shape. Mine look like "Mickey Mouse" ears.

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would guess the pictures on the website are of a more common 15 or 17 pitch. They probably dont take pictures of every pitch for the advertising.

The blades on a 9 inch are very ?flat? so they do look very much like mickey mouse ears.

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If you are happy with overall combo performance with current prop, forget all about being tempted with less bigger props Whichever prop models you go for will need to be water tested till the best one is dialed for your particular boating needs but that could turn into a costly prop experimentation as Jetboater has already gone through.

Happy Boating

KD5EXP

Cadet
I have a 28 ft Party barge I have stripped out everything and put a center console in with a live well. I don't know what in came with but I assume it was a Mercury sense it had Mercury conttols on it. Could tell it ha different motor by the ectra hole in the transit. It came with a Force 85 and ran good first couple of time we took ot out. Then started missing and loosing power. Power pack time. Friend had a small 35 hp Johnson we put on it and it got it around OK. I found a 78 Johnson 70 hp in texas guy had tore down to put a water pump in and had it for sale cheap. Leary to buy it I took the chance. Put a water pump and a fuel pump on it and it ran good. Mounted it on the boat and went out and it ran great but bogged down about 11mph. Don't know the rpms but low. We checked fuel and all that and I decided it was like a car and over geared. After a lot of research I found an ad from Mercury about pontoon props and went off that. I found a used 14 by 11 prop and put it on. The boat came alive. Jumped out the hole and topped out a little over 16 mph. RPMs sounded good. It had a 13 1/4 by 17 prop on it for a smaller boat. Never would have guessed a prop would make that much difference. Treat it like my ex wife now and don't mess with it. It makes a good fishing boat now and I am happy with it.