Which Prop for overall performance?

RMCN

Cadet
I recently picked up a 97' 21ft Cajun Bay Boat. I'm looking to get a new prop since both that came with it are pretty chewed up. Here are all the details I think that play into choosing the right prop. Maybe you guys can help me out.

21'10" Cajun
Weight (w/ motor): 2200lbs approx.
97 150 Johnson Ocean Runner
RPM at WOT: Varies between 5500-6000 I don't think the tach is super reliable as it sits at 2000 with the boat off and ideals between 500-1000 with no noticeable change in engine.
Top speed: 35-37mph (taken off Lowrance Elite 5)

Let me know if I missed anything. I'm just looking for a good overall prop. Thanks

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
It would also be nice to know what prop is currently on it

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Get a new tach to start with and test different props..

Happy Boating

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
All the above requested would be great...just in the first instance though...your speed seems to be lacking from what I might expect from the boat and engine. Prop must be really bad.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Yep all the above need correct answers. Can't ask us for a creditable answer with sloppy performance inputs. No brag, just fact! Answer will be just a SWAG anyway. Only way to really know is for you to select one and run it.....if you buy from a prop shop, a lot of them will loan you props to test (if you are careful and don't damage them) till you find your honey. They can prompt you on your responses with the prop you have just tested and guide you on selecting the next test candidate. That's worth the money in the long run and if you are picky, probably your cheapest way out over shot gun buying props till you accidentally find the right one to suit you.

RMCN

Cadet
Thanks for all of the input. I like the idea of finding a prop shop to test different props. And I will be replacing/diagnosing the Tac as soon as I can but prior to prop shopping.