Neutral prop spinning

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Since you didn't mention the horsepower... In 69 there were two types of "Selectric" shifting systems. One was the Electric system used on the 40hp, the other was the Hydro-Electric System, used on the 55, 85, and 115. The Hydro-Electric system defaults to forward gear and if no power is applied to a particular coil/solenoid to shift into Neutral, or the oil passages are plugged, or the oil pump has failed, the unit will remain in forward with the prop spinning. The older Electric system very rarely locked up in gear, it usually broke resulting in at least two neutrals.
There is also some residual friction which often does result in the prop turning at a much lower speed than if it were in gear. Do not touch a spinning prop or try to stop it.

Kenneth b

Cadet
It is a 85 HP in neutral should the prop spin freely mine only seems to spin in to the right and dose the motor need to be running or need power to change into the forward and reverse.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You are 100% sure it is a 1969 or newer 85hp? I ask because the 1968 85hp used the other style of shift system

A 1969 engine has the Hydro-electric shift. The engine has to be rotating to shift out of forward. When the engine is not rotating, the unit will default to forward. It takes a rotating engine and electricity to one of the solenoids to shift into neutral, and power to both solenoids to shift into reverse.
An oil pump driven off the forward gear provides the oil pressure to do the shifting, explaining why the engine has to be rotating to shift out of forward into neutral or reverse.

Last edited:

Kenneth b

Cadet
the tittle says 69 85hp it's got 3 buttons on the throttle reverse neutral and forward

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Both systems use a 3 button control

Does the cowl look like this? 1968
68.jpg

Or like this? 1969
69.jpg

Kenneth b

Cadet
also do you know what kind of steering system I should use for it it I can't find what was originally on it

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The exhaust going out is what makes the prop to spin at neutral, nothing to worry if with 0 forward motion.

Happy Boating