What prop do I have?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What prop do I have?

Im very new to boat ownership so I apologize if my question doesn't come out right. Recently bought a 1982 Infinity Del-Magic. It has a 1982,115 Merc outboard. It seems like the motor has to work to hard to get the boat moving. I tried finding markings onn the prop to see what we had but can not find anything. I thought it would be marked on it somewhere. Its an aluminum three blade. Is there someplace else I can look to try and find out what the prop is? Thanks for your help.

Sometimes you need to take the prop off to find the numbers.

Comment

Ok. Thank you. We will pull it off and take a look.

Comment

Ok I pulled the prop off and found the part #48-77344-17
        I believe from what I can find its a 13.25x17 then. Now my next question would be, How do I figure out if its right for what we have. The boat is 17 foot and weighs about 1200 I believe. I would like to be able to have a few people in the boat and pull a tube without issue. Im also in colorado so we are at 5000 ft up here.

Comment

You need a tachometer and and gps for speed, plus know the RPM range for your motor.

Comment

An 82 115hp would have a WOT range of 5000 - 5500 rpm. I doubt, at a 5000ft altitude you are getting this with a 17. You might have to drop down to a 15" or even a 13" to get the rpms into the 5000 - 5500 range. As propeller efficiency drops as the pitch goes down, a better choice would be a gearcase with a 2.3:1 ratio instead of the standard 2:1. The engine is also running rich due to the altitude, but jetting it leaner might not be an options as I have never seen a chart for that year of engine. You are certain it is an 82? there were many differences between the 81 and earlier engines and 82 and later engines

Comment

Thank you for your responses. The serial number on the motor is 6052035. From what Im finding, yes its an 82.

Comment

Step # 1 is to determine the condition of the motor.-------Changing props to get the rpm you need may not be the proper approach.----What if low compression is the problem ?---What if carburetors are partially plugged ?

Comment

Jetting for higher altitudes
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	jets.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	278562

Comment

Thank you very much. We are going to look at a few more things and try to get some numbers for comparison. Think we might actually have a bad prop bushing?

Comment

Working...
                    X