Need help choosing prop

Ldchase

Cadet
Hey guys I just picked up a 1987 Larson 17 and a half foot boat. It has a mercruiser 3.0 and a alpha one out drive. It had been sitting since 2002 but I got it going and running good (after a long few days) and I'm looking to get a new prop just because mines dinged up bad. It goes about 36 at I think around 4500 rpm so is that all I can get out of it or should I play around with the prop? It has a 48-78120-19 which I believe is a 14 by 19. What I'm wondering is how I get a new prop. Will any 14 by 19 rh 15 spline work? Theres only a few if I search for that number on eBay. I was hoping to find a used stainless. Will this prop work and also? http://www.ebay.com/itm/112555341370 what do the numbers in the middle mean? Thanks and sorry I'm sure your burned out of prop questions but I'm new to this boating thing this year! Loving it to BTW!

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
That prop should probably work, but judging by the pics, it's garbage as is. It would need a trip to a prop shop to get straightened out. You'd save money up front I suppose, but to make it work, you'd have to spend more than what you initially paid for it. Try searching your local Craigslist. You can probably find a better deal.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
4500 rpms is approaching max rpm on that 3.0,..check the merc site, you maybe able to go a tad higher,..but why make an old motor work that hard,... Props are usually chosen to match max rpm recommendations.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
I should have also noted that boaters who use SS props are looking for "top" performance,... not really something you should be concerned with on a 3.0,... the down side of a SS prop is when you hit something,... you will likely damage more than just the prop, it'll be an outdrive,...its the reason most moderate boaters dont use SS.

Ldchase

Cadet
Oh ok good points guys. My reasoning behind the stainless was that I could fix it enough to keep using as a fishing prop because some of the lakes I like to fish at are in the shallow side and if I bend a aluminum prop I usually can't straighten it without loosing a chunk then it's totally useless. But definitely don't want to compromise the drive for that purpose. So I guess my next question would be what's my cheapest option for props? Are the ones with the square hubs cheaper to replace after I buy the splined hub? Is this the right one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/322754826601
It must be pretty hard to put a trolling motor on this boat right? Thanks for all the help!