New old guy

Capt chappy

Recruit
What size prop for 1965 evenrude 6 hp fisherman? The prop that came with the motor is a 2 blade 8 in 8 1/2 pitch part no. 277650 , seems like too much prop for my 70 lb porta boat won't plane. Motor just tuned, revs fine in nutral but in gear won't rev up more than an additional 500 rpms , feels like pulling a couple 5 gal buckets.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
do a compression test. your 53 year old motor may simply be worn out.

Capt chappy

Recruit
Thanx, don't think this motor has had much use by looks, will do compression check. Any idea of specs?

Capt chappy

Recruit
Just checked compression 90 lb and 88 lb. Looks like someone has gone thru this motor, New gaskets and paint off bolt heads, also merc soft plug and newer coils.
Don't wanna pull skiers but would like to plane out, ( I got my 8 ft inflatable w/3.5 to plane out with my 200 lb.) this should be easy!
Thanx

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the compression is lower than I like, not spectacular, however not bad. the fact that it is not reving up in gear means that the motor has issues. compression is good enough, however how is the fuel system? in neutral means nothing as you can hit 5000 RPM on a drop of fuel, however in gear is where you should be testing and where any issues with the health of the motor come into play. have you checked the carb? does the ignition advance properly?