2006 J14 with 1987 mercury 40 hp 2 stroke engine

Will5505

Recruit
Hello good evening i want to buy a new prop which the one i have is a 13 spline 9x10p . I weigh 230 and the boat has center console a bench and the whole front storage compartments with 1 battery in the bench and one inside the center console. If i ride by myself i can get top speed of 35 , but when my wife and my son come with me thats an extra 375 pounds i go around 5 mph . My rpm are at 6000 . The engine just wants to take off but i feel that the boat is not advancing at all. What suggestions for speed does anyone out there have . I also installed trim tabs but didnt work . Clueless on what to do. Thanks

Will5505

Recruit
I also wanted to add that when installing the trim plates i had water run out the holes i drilled , i completely drained these holes to the point i can lift the boat easly

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Is the current prop the original one, say factory delivered ? if so seems already kaputt. Is tach in good working order ? Post some pics of trim plates to have a look..

Personally would start with a hub slip test to rule out being already kaputt and then going from there throubleshooting other things..

Happy Boating

Will5505

Recruit
Checked the hub and is in good working order the prop is astainless one . I took it off and inspected hub and prop. Should i get a 11 1/2 x 13 pitch aluminum from michigan wheel that i saw around 65 dollars or should i get something else . The trim tabs that i installed are aluminum and angled to 45. This actually helped with aligning the boat and getting on plane faster when i ride by myself.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
OB's rpm is 6 K with you alone or with family ? Is OB sitting at the sweet transom height ? At speed if water flow passing under small splash plate or towards AV plate when combo is on plane with trim set to 90? ?

Happy Boating