photo276797.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • photo276798.png
    photo276798.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

bheff

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It probably damaged the real seals
I am getting water into my LU. The seal looks good, but I'm betting on it being bad. I need to order new seals anyway. Going to pull the entire drive and go through it. It's a 1974 stern drive and I don't know when the last time it was serviced

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Fishing line has been a major wrecker of gearcases, probably greater than impacts

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Horrible.
It's actually not unknown for local fisherman (who detest speedboats and jet skis) to deliberately plant loads of line in the water, at popular hot spots where I boat. Horrible.

ahicks

Captain
That's one of the better reasons to pull your prop at least once annually. To apply grease to the shaft - AND - check for "debris" around shaft in the area of the seals.

A gob that big has likely been collecting for a while....

bheff

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That's one of the better reasons to pull your prop at least once annually. To apply grease to the shaft - AND - check for "debris" around shaft in the area of the seals.

A gob that big has likely been collecting for a while....

I bought the boat (not running) back In March. It had a prop lock on it and other issues were more pressing. I finally was able to cut the lock off and this is what was found.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Horrible.
It's actually not unknown for local fisherman (who detest speedboats and jet skis) to deliberately plant loads of line in the water, at popular hot spots where I boat. Horrible.

30 yrs ago, unknown to me, a guy cast his line in front of my boat. I shoved the throttle to full power and took off. My cousin, who was on the dock, told me when I returned that I snagged the line and emptied the anglers reel. Cussing I removed the prop and to my relief found no line on the shaft. I still chuckle about it