Prop size for my old Twain

Twainer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My prop got chewed up over the holiday. It was a 14" X 16p 3 blade. I am somewhat new to boating but I felt it perform ok. There is another prop that came with the boat that I have never used because it has many nicks & dings in it. Size on it is 14" X 12p 3 blade. I will give you some boat information but would a boat my length & engine size do better with a different size prop?
First off boat will be used for cruising & pulling kids on intertubes. It is a 1978 18' OMC Mark Twain Bow Rider with a 351W engine. It is a heavy boat... boat not full of fuel & tandem axle trailer weighs in at 3,780lbs so I would predict it nearly weighs 3,000lbs. I have not yet run it WOT as 1. it's a new engine that I am still breaking it in & 2. I don't have the owners manual that states what max rpm should be for this boat. I have a shop manual but have not seen this information in this book.
Another question how bad does the prop have to be damaged before it can not be repaired. And does anyone suggest a shop that does great work for a reasonable price?

NYBo

Admiral
Without WOT RPMs with the old prop, it's just a WAG, but if the boat did well with the 16", 12" will be underpropped, and the motor will likely over-rev at WOT.