Regal 1800LSR Long Plane time...

pyro225

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All,

You may have been some posts last year about my boat never planing... i thought it was a fault but it just seems to be (after having her checked out) she hates being loaded up. I run an alpha 1 with a mercerise 120hp 1.7 DTI. With four people and no gear she planes fine... add 6 people and some gear (still under recommendation) she just runs around bow up topping at 15mph.

I alrignally had a sous 14.75 x21p prop - the problem above was worsened with this it would only do 12mph - same symptoms... I then forked out for a 13.75x21p Vengeance prop and the above result happened slight increase but no planing.

I have been given a 13.75x19p Laser II but not tried it i don't want to over rev it - would this help me at all?

I was thinking my best bet is to sell all three - they are all nearly new stainless in great condition and putting the money towards a high five - would this sort my issue? I'm happy loading 3-4mph top end longs i can actually get there? I also have tabs which have made a little difference.

If you think the high5 would help what pitch do i do? do i drop 2 or stay the same? The original recommendation for the boat prop is a 14.25x21p...

Cheers

Scott06

Vice Admiral
What is your lightly loaded WOT rpm? I'd try the 19" laser 2 and see what you get. With your intended usage , loaded down, you want to drop pitch to get it close the recommended WOT range. High five is typically low end pull for water sports.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would be dropping down to 15P when loaded.

you can control the revs with your right hand, you can control prop pitch by swapping props. when you have less than 200hp, you need to have various prop pitches available. when I had my 140hp, 3.0, i had at a minimum, 2 props with me, sometimes 3. a 15p, 17p and 19p were the 3 prop pitches i used. 19p for light loads and cruising, 15p for pulling a slalom skiier

and no, the high five wont help here. your running out of motor for the load you have.

ahicks

Captain
Agree, you should be thinking 15 or 17" pitch. That boat would need a V-8 to pull a 21"

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Normally I would agree with what is said above, but these engine and drives tend to be propped fairly pitch high. Remember it's a diesel and doesn't Rev to anything like the equivelant 3.0 petrol does. A 21" is fairly normal on these regal fast tracks with the 1.7 Cummings. I check the turbo and its actuation and for exhaust leaks preventing the turbo from spoiling up.
All that said....it depends how you load the boat and also that in its very nature....they are slow to pick up until the turbo gets a chance to spool. There is a fair bit of turbo lag.
If you are always fully loaded....go to the 19"....but I sure wouldn't be going much lower.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hate to say it...but they are also known as being quite weak engines. Plenty of problems with them across here....great on fuel though and seem to be surprisingly quick too end considering the HP. Some faster than the 3.0 petrol, by all accounts.
Like I say...problem is getting them into the boost.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Another thought...and I can't believe I'm saying this out loud (because I'm not a fan of drilling holes in a boat that the manufacturer didn't)....these smart tabs might help your case...instead of propping way too far down and over revving anything near top end.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
I would be dropping down to 15P when loaded.

you can control the revs with your right hand, you can control prop pitch by swapping props. when you have less than 200hp, you need to have various prop pitches available. when I had my 140hp, 3.0, i had at a minimum, 2 props with me, sometimes 3. a 15p, 17p and 19p were the 3 prop pitches i used. 19p for light loads and cruising, 15p for pulling a slalom skiier

and no, the high five wont help here. your running out of motor for the load you have.

Take heed here you could not get better and more accurate advice

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Guys....these boats and engine option are really popular across here in the UK...for obvious fuel price related issues.
I can assure you that a 15" pitch is a total waste of time on this set up. Once the turbo spools up...it will have over revved and cooked itself before you can grab the throttle.
A 21" is the norm on this boat with the 1.7....a 19" would be a heavily loaded or water sports towing option.
I looked at the 3 boats in my marina today (regal 1800, bayliner and chaperall cuddy)...the regal and bayliner both have 21" black max and the Chap has a 19" high five. They all go well. A 15" would be crazy. Honestly.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Maybe I'm wrong and someone better suited than I can look at the maths.
Op should confirm the drive ratio (likely 2:1 same as boats local to me)
Max rpms are probably 4400/4500 tops.
Just posting advice from what I have witnessed and real life comparisons.
All the best.

pyro225

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all thanks for the above been away for a while. Tried the laser II but once it boosted it just rev?d too high... I ended up the a Comprop 4 blade 20p which only slightly over revved and was great until I snapped a blade. I have settled now on a 21p high five - I have run with a mid load and seems fine will be summer now until a full load

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Adding 2 extra boaters up when have found the near perfect prop model and pitch for engine to rev towards middle or max wot rpm range when boatng say with 4 up will blow the equation real fast if engine does not responds fast. Propped it right for 4, the rest can stay ashore sipping cold ones specially in summer time.

Happy Boating

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have settled now on a 21p high five - I have run with a mid load and seems fine will be summer now until a full load

see post #4.... when you add load, you run out of motor, you need to change your pitch.... or follow as Sea Rider stated, keep them on-shore. or prop for a heavy load and adjust your RPM's with your right hand when lightly loaded. only you are smashing the trottle against the stops....only you can change how you drive the boat with a light load.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi all thanks for the above been away for a while. Tried the laser II but once it boosted it just rev’d too high... I ended up the a Comprop 4 blade 20p which only slightly over revved and was great until I snapped a blade. I have settled now on a 21p high five - I have run with a mid load and seems fine will be summer now until a full load

A 20? 4 blade over revved and a laser 21? over revved. Just emphasises my point about Defo not putting a 15? on it. Think you are right to try the high 5 21?. It will likely over Rev too, but might just get you up on plane fully loaded. It?s just a case of getting enough revs built up to encourage some boost from the turbo.