Right Prop for Mercury 25 HP???

wjhuskey

Seaman
I have a 1981 Mercury 25 hp that I'm ordering a new prop for. Problem is, I don't know a lot about props so I'm having trouble deciding which pitch and diameter I need. I have my serial # wrote down but most places online doesn't ask for it anyway. After selecting the HP and year, I get asked what pitch I want...and some places mentions diameter and rotation. Can someone tell me the best prop pitch for this motor? The motor is on a 14' Lowe jon boat and I would like to see it accelerate well and run RPM's that most people like to see. If someone can tell me the best prop pitch and diameter for this motor, it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
w/o knowing what the current prop is it might be a bit of trial and error. I think a good place to start would be a 13p. As it is listed as the "standard" prop for boats 12'-15' with 1980 and newer 2 stroke 25merc As much as I hate the word "standard".

wjhuskey

Seaman
w/o knowing what the current prop is it might be a bit of trial and error. I think a good place to start would be a 13p. As it is listed as the "standard" prop for boats 12'-15' with 1980 and newer 2 stroke 25merc As much as I hate the word "standard".

Thanks Yegboats, I was thinking 13p too. That's what I will try first. Thanks again.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Your old prop should have some numbers on it, they should let you know the pitch and diameter.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
13 p will be a good match for your boat I run a similar rig with the same motor.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
That's the issue of not having previously tached current prop, load & boat. That way will know if current prop was a good or bad performer, if good buy same, if bad go for a prop maximization to less pitch props to pull wot revs up. Those 25 HP are usually factory delivered with 13 pitch props which need to be changed if wanting fast hole shot. To check if will perform right need to install an induction tach and check if OB will run middle to max wot rpm range factory stated...

Happy Boating