prop question

bass_guy67

Recruit
I have 95 Intruder 150 with a 92 Fast Strike175 lower unit. My prop is a 3 blade 14.5 x 24. My boat is a 19 Nitro bass boat. At WOT my tach is reading 4100 rpm's. What size prop do I need to change out to in order to get my rpm's above 5000.

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iBOATS! :welcome:

Did you recently obtain the boat, and/or is this a new problem? The usual math indicates you would need to drop to a 19" pitch. But first you need to check a few things:

Is the tach accurate?
Is the motor running properly (ignition timing advance, compression, etc.)?
Are you trimming the motor properly?
Is the current prop in good condition?

bass_guy67

Recruit
Thanks Admiral for the reply. Umm, this is an old boat, 95 Nitro bass boat, I restored. New carpet, net seats, new wiring ect. The three blade prop came with the 150. The 175 Fast Strike had a four blade 13.5 x 23 on it. As far as can tell everything is in working order. My thinking is that the previous owners just put on what they had and just let it go from there. If the math suggest a 19 pitch, then its a 3 or 4 blade?????

bass_guy67

Recruit
Got a 19 pitch prop and took boat to the river. It ran smooth at 5200 rpm's. Trim in at WOT and ran 6 miles with no issues. I like where its at. Thanks everyone for your help. Will be fishing a fall bass tournament trail in September.