Stainless Prop Upgrade for Evinrude 200XP

boatsofmn

Recruit
Hey! New to this site! I've got a 1991 22' Crestliner Saber W/A with a 1988 Evinrude XP200. I currently have a 14'' 3/4 x 21'' Aluminum prop on the boat and it seems to run strange at WOT. The tach indicates above 6000rpm when im WOT trimmed out. This seems to high for normal running purposes. If you guys have any suggestions to a better prop or other fixes to this problem let me know! Thanks!

ahicks

Captain
Your post requires (a lot) more info to get you anything in the way of useful info. Like define "strange" please? You state your prop turns 6000 at WOT. What does the manf. call for/suggest for WOT?

Are you skiing with the boat, looking for max out of the hole acceleration to get the boat and skier (tuber) on top, or is this more of a fishing boat where you're looking for economical "cruise-ability" to get to and from your favorite fishing grounds? Or maybe all you're interested in is top speed, to allow you to out run a buddy? The perfect prop is going to be a compromise. To have it exceed at any of these tasks, is going to require it to suffer in others. One prop cannot possibly do it all.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Welcome aboard iboats
I believe your engine is rated @5500 and has a full throttle rpm range of 5000 - 6000 rpm. If the prop isn't blowing out from excessive engine height or over trimming, you are running right at the top of the rpm range. Is there room for improvement, most likely. You say you are running an AL prop. What brand and model?Is it a stock OMC/BRP prop, or afterkmarket? There are some higher performance props made out of Stainless Steel. Where is the anti-ventilation plate in relation to the hull/keel of the boat? Level or below, higher?

Last edited: