New prop very very hard to get on and off

pangolin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a Volvo penta sx-m, new prop shaft and new vp prop. I put about 20 hours on the prop and had to remove for servicing the unit. It was so hard to take off I had to hit it very hard a numbe of times with a rubber mallet.
I went to reinstall yesterday and it required tapping to get it on, when I torqued it it was in too far and was rubbing so I wanted to remove. It was so hard to get back off I thought I was going to break something.

I put my spare prop on no problem, torqued it down and it looks and feels right. It's almost like the tube in the hub of the new one is too narrow. Any thoughts on this?

One more thing I noticed, with the drive in reverse and torquing down the prop, nearing the ft lb range the prop will turn a bit in the forward direction. It feels like it's turning the engine w over a crank or two. Is that normal? I haven't noticed that before.

NYBo

Admiral
Is the new prop bottoming out on the splines of the shaft and then jamming? Perhaps it needs a thicker thrust washer?

pangolin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That might help. Maybe I have an aftermarket thrust washer and don't know it which is not as thick. It is a stock VP prop and stock VP prop shaft. The washer seems to be stock as well so it's hard to say.

I put in a return ticket on Amazon but we will see how that goes, it has been over 30 days.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
?

One more thing I noticed, with the drive in reverse and torquing down the prop, nearing the ft lb range the prop will turn a bit in the forward direction. It feels like it's turning the engine w over a crank or two. Is that normal? I haven't noticed that before.

Are you putting block of wood between a blade and the gearcase when tighten the prop nut? Or are you using engine friction/drag? The torque spec is only 55lbft

pangolin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No block of wood, just putting in gear per the manual. Manual calls for 70-80 ft lbs.