2011 Tahoe Q7i

USS MINNOW

Seaman
Looking to change from a 3 blade to a 4. (Mercruiser 5.0 Alpha One) Any suggestions? Current 19 pitch 14.5 diameter. Not sure what to look for?

alldodge

Staff member
Looking to change from a 3 blade to a 4. (Mercruiser 5.0 Alpha One) Any suggestions? Current 19 pitch 14.5 diameter. Not sure what to look for?

The straight swap is 17 pitch 4 blade. If your looking for certain types of performance increase or reduction we need to know:
WOT rpm
GPS speed at WOT
Drive ratio

USS MINNOW

Seaman
The straight swap is 17 pitch 4 blade. If your looking for certain types of performance increase or reduction we need to know:
WOT rpm
GPS speed at WOT
Drive ratio
WOT RPM = approx 4800
GPS speed at WOT = approx 52
Drive ratio = not sure?

alldodge

Staff member
Assuming you have a 1:5 drive, your slip is at 9.8 present, which isn't bad. A 4 blade may reduce the slip but I think you could loose some top end. Now if you get a custom 17x4-blade which has some cupping it could get you up to the same speed. The issue is you get more lift from a 4 blade but it also takes more HP to turn it.

As an example, if you can turn a 4 blade 19P at same 4800 rpm, reduce the slip to 6 percent, you can reach 54 mph.

Everything is a trade off and your not doing bad now. What are you wanting to improve, hole shot, top end?

USS MINNOW

Seaman
Assuming you have a 1:5 drive, your slip is at 9.8 present, which isn't bad. A 4 blade may reduce the slip but I think you could loose some top end. Now if you get a custom 17x4-blade which has some cupping it could get you up to the same speed. The issue is you get more lift from a 4 blade but it also takes more HP to turn it.

As an example, if you can turn a 4 blade 19P at same 4800 rpm, reduce the slip to 6 percent, you can reach 54 mph.

Everything is a trade off and your not doing bad now. What are you wanting to improve, hole shot, top end?
Looking to improve hole shot and slow speed maneuvering.

alldodge

Staff member
The 4 blade will give you more hole shot and low speed, but as before I do believe you will loose some top end, but could also over rev a tad at WOT.

To keep reverse maneuverability you don't want any cup. Cup works for forward but keeps the prop from biting in reverse

USS MINNOW

Seaman
The 4 blade will give you more hole shot and low speed, but as before I do believe you will loose some top end, but could also over rev a tad at WOT.

To keep reverse maneuverability you don't want any cup. Cup works for forward but keeps the prop from biting in reverse
Thanks for the help.