Boat prop size for pontoon

Reimroc

Recruit
I have a 2013 bentley pontoon 22 ft with a mercury 4 stroke 115 top speed at the moment is 22 mph i have a 17 pitch prop on it now (what came with the boat when bought). I know this boat can go faster and hot shot quicker but im not sure what pitch i truly need to do this.... we mostly tube and ski on this boat. Any help would be greatly appriciated!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
what is your WOT RPM. 'Toons take much more power to move than other boat hulls

ahicks

Captain
It's likely going to be a 13" or 15" pitch prop that gets the job done, but Scott is right. To know which might be the best guess, need to know what your engine is turning rpm wise when it's going as fast as it can the way it is now.

Don't be real surprised if your speed doesn't increase much with the right prop, but your ability to get the boat moving much more quickly shouldn't be hard at all.

ahicks

Captain
Well, if you're now at 5000 rpm, and I'm reading this chart right:

https://www.rubexprops.com/boat-prop.../?make=Mercury

You could likely run either the 13" or the 15" and be OK/within the wide open throttle max at 5800-6400. Which prop to go with will be a compromise, and might depend on if you're looking max punch out of the hole (extra large tubers?), or maybe picking up a couple mph.

Me? 6400 rpm sounds kinda high. I'd go for the 15" with an eye on keeping it under 6K

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
make sure your engine height is set right first on the pontoon. your anti-cav plate should be about 1-2" under water max when at WOT.

if your too deep it will plow.